View Single Post
Old 09-19-2007   #1
Halon
Pewp Champion

Drives: Teh Bean
Send a message via AIM to Halon
Borg Warner Turbos

Just thought I'd start this up with what I've found on these turbos so far. It's a bit difficult to find info on these compared to all the info out there for Garretts and what not. So if anyone has any good info on these, post it up!

Basically for those of you who don't know anything about these, they use something called Extended Tip Technology on some their compressor wheels (they also offer non-ET compressors as well) to help them flow more air at the same levels as a typical compressor wheel of the same size would flow. They also supposidely try to reduce the rotating mass to help spool. So in the end, the advantage is supposed to be it can flow more air then say a compressor wheel of the same size from Garrett which doesn't utilize ETT. I am not for sure, but I believe Brent Rau runs one of these turbo's, as well as MAP's FD. SLS has also done some testing with these turbos with great results.

I personally am going to be running a used S362 I picked up. These things come in both extended and non-extended tip forms. I wasn't 100% sure when I bought this, if I had gotten an ET or non-ET version, but it was a good deal so I grabbed it anyway. Everyone was beating around the bush when I asked exactly what tip on the compressor was extended, and extended in what way. Every responce I've ever gotten was either a "well i think..." or a "the tips are extended on the compressor wheel, duh". Well that sure doesn't clarify anything. I finally found out that it's the tips on the exducer, are extended out over the center cartridge. There's a good picture of this in a later post.

Also, these turbos typically run 14 (7 tall, 7 short) fins on the compressor wheel instead of 12

Misc pics:

my old s362 which was non-ET

So anywho, I'll be running one of these next year and I guess we'll see how it performs for me. I'll be mating it up more then likely to a bullseye .70a/r T3 v-band exhaust housing, and bolting it up to my SLS T3 manifold.

Here's a few other pics I found that are also interesting:

BW 256 wheel on the left. Standard 50 "trim" with 74.75 exducer on the right.

2006 Bayliner 195 - Carbed 5.0 Top Speed Test

Last edited by Halon; 01-14-2008 at 09:21 PM..
Halon is offline   Reply With Quote