View Single Post
Old 01-04-2016   #63
bramagedained

Drives: EVO IX SSL
Re: My "new" car/project.

Welp. Now I've gone and done it.

I pulled the console and dash to prep for the painless kit, now I have a case of "while I'm in there".

The car originally had A/C, so I'm going to pull the coil which is dead weight.

While laying across the rocker to unhook stuff to pull the dash I got curious and peeled up the off-brand dynamat which the floor is lined with.

It turns out the rust spot is bigger than I thought, it's still not major and will just be one piece of flat sheetmetal to patch.

While looking at that I noticed that the trans tunnel is coated with a tar like stuff, which I assumed to be OEM sound deadening/insulation. Some of which is dried like plastic and breaks off, the rest comes off like tar.

Should I just peel all of this shit out?

I have to remove a lot of the interior to strip the OEM wiring to put in the new stuff anyway. I could always buy new stuff later if the noise/heat bothers me.

Should I just get the full whack of autometer gauges now since I have the dash out and I'm starting from scratch with the wiring anyway?

At a minimum that's replacing the 3 factory ones with Oil Pressure/Fuel Level/Water Temp. The 2-5/8" ones are very close to OEM size and will fit in the stock location.
bramagedained is offline   Reply With Quote