View Single Post
Old 05-12-2009   #31
4g63tcrazy
is Nashty

Drives: Cyborg from Japan
Re: Re-torquing ARP headstuds

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheides View Post
Haven't gotten that far yet, but on page 2, there's some interesting info.

It says that if arps are used and torqued just beyond the recommended torque (which I think is fairly common practice) and THEN the head lifts for any reason, the ARP studs are not to be used again, as they can become stretched and integrity compromised.

Has anyone locally experienced this? If this is in fact true, it could certainly be why my HG is going out again after only 10k miles. The head lifted last fall and when I replaced the headgasket I re-used the same set of ARPs.

Are the L19's really $250? Someone pinch me....can my mere 400whp 4G63 really need these?
Page 3 and on is alot more in depth info and more people running high hp giving their experience. If you lifted the head and torqued the head studs down to the same torque as the first time. Then I would have to say that is FOR SURE why you're head lifted again so soon. If you lifted your head, you stretched the headstuds. Then if you torqued them down the same as before. It's not gonna hold the head down as good second time around.