View Single Post
Old 05-12-2009   #30
MustGoFaster

Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion!
Drives: A big dirty V8
Send a message via ICQ to MustGoFaster Send a message via AIM to MustGoFaster Send a message via Yahoo to MustGoFaster Send a message via Skype™ to MustGoFaster
Re: Re-torquing ARP headstuds

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheides View Post
Haven't gotten that far yet, but on page 2, there's some interesting info.

It says that if arps are used and torqued just beyond the recommended torque (which I think is fairly common practice) and THEN the head lifts for any reason, the ARP studs are not to be used again, as they can become stretched and integrity compromised.

Has anyone locally experienced this? If this is in fact true, it could certainly be why my HG is going out again after only 10k miles. The head lifted last fall and when I replaced the headgasket I re-used the same set of ARPs.

Are the L19's really $250? Someone pinch me....can my mere 400whp 4G63 really need these?
By "just beyond" are you talking ~5ft-lbs? If so, I doubt 5 ft lbs over would cause any issue. Depending on how close to the yield strength the TQ spec is, it could matter.

Here is ARP's genral info page :
http://www.arp-bolts.com/Catalog/Cat...talog_0024.pdf

Mine are TQ'd quite a bit higher than the spec. I would not reuse them at this point, as I should be ridiculously close to the yield point. (Hence why I picked the number I did)

And just be glad L19's are that CHEAP. ARP's for a 6G72 are $300. There are 16 VS 10, and they are a little longer, but 3X the price WTF!!!