Thread: Tire Options
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2015   #1
Halon
Pewp Champion

Drives: Teh Bean
Send a message via AIM to Halon
Tire Options

Looking to invest in some better tires, possibly even an entire new wheel setup, for the SC300. I know theres some pretty tire savvy people here so looking for some feedback from the tire gurus.

The problem is i cant hook in 1st and 2nd that great. Im sure 3rd will be in the same boat once i add more power but that could be a year away. So basically, I want to hook.

Wheel setup right now is 17x8 front and 17x9.5 rear. I may potentially go with an 18x8.5 front and 18x10 rear. But despite that, here's my thoughts.

I dont do lots of turnsy stuff, im a pussy when it comes to hard turning stuff on the street. Mostly just like to punch it and go forward fast. So fronts i was thinking something like 245s, just a normal decent street tire like HTR-Z3's. Rear am looking at drag radials in the 265-285 width range. Mainly at NT555r, NT05r, or ET Street Radial. Car is mostly a weekend warrior, however I can definitely see myself getting caught in the rain a fee times a year. With that being said, the NT555r stands out to me as it seems to be the more "street/strip" version of the ones mentioned. However i wonder if ill be disappointed with them and still end up spinning a lot which would make it a waste of money. So then the NT05r and ET Street seem to be much stickier, but ive heard everything from "they arent so bad if u get stuck in a rain storm" to "flat out dangerous to go over 50 in the rain with them"

I want to find the best balance i can for this car. 99% street driven, 95% in nice weather. i plan to drive it a couple days per week to work on potential nice days, or on cruises, so guaranteed itll see a couple accidental rain storms every year. And also probably an occasional drag strip, say once a year. But i can always run a different tire/wheel at the strip.

Thoughts?
2006 Bayliner 195 - Carbed 5.0 Top Speed Test
Halon is offline   Reply With Quote