View Single Post
Old 01-31-2006   #5
dumb_ricer
Hates Everything

Drives: Neon
Send a message via AIM to dumb_ricer
Re: 1g Non Turbo Piston Questions?

Okay, so what is the oh so great advantage of a Turbo Shortblock over a Non Turbo shortblock besides pistons?

You could say oil squirters, which would be valid if you road raced or constantly beat the shit out of the car, but there are a hell of a hell of a lot of other cars with the same power without oil squirters, and hey, they do fine with the same piston to wall clearances that DSM's use.

But oil squirters also have downsides, like lower overall oil pressure in the motor, one more unlikely but potential problem (broken/fallen out).

I would do it right the first time, but who has really tested the NT shortblock to see just how bad it is? Oh wait, that'd be no one really. Everything I have read has been heresay. I hate when car communities see something different and go "oh noes, thats so bad, you shouldnt do that, joe bob my uncle did it once and it didnt work for him!!!1!!!one111!!, and then suddenly the whole community won't try it because joe bob's broke. The only person who has done it and documented it is doing fine with 330whp, which is more than I plan on making until I do nitrous.

And yes, you are in a community that does things ghetto. And I'm sure EVERY single one of you is guilty of it at some point in the time you have driven cars.

So who know's if it can handle some power? If it does, I'll be sure to let people know that a NT shortblock handled X power in my case, but I still wouldn't recommend them. In theory with smaller rings, smaller/thinner lands/rings sitting higher in block it *IS* a recipe for disaster, but whats a cracked ring land going to do? Oh no, it burns oil, time to go throw in the now done Turbo Shortblock. A whole nother 150 dollars, damn.

Oh, and For the record, I'm probably just going to swap the Turbo Pistons/rod's into the NT block and crank and do rings and bearings. I'll be sure to let you know how much more piston skirt scuffing there was in a few months due to lack of squirters.
dumb_ricer is offline   Reply With Quote