View Single Post
Old 07-11-2013   #1
DSMINMN
Mitsus for days!

Drives: '08 Chrysler 300C
Send a message via MSN to DSMINMN Send a message via Yahoo to DSMINMN Send a message via Skype™ to DSMINMN
WHITE POW'R! - Winter beater turned....?

Since this car has began to change directions, I decided that it deserves a thread dedicated to such changes. Without further ado:

Back story

I was in the search of a Colt/Mirage for quite some time. Said car would serve it's purpose as a winter car...and a possible 4g63t swap candidate. More of the latter, hence the thread!

My best friend Keith (not on here; YET), knew what I was looking for and decided to help me search. Hell, I wasn't going to turn down a helping hand! So a few days after he told me he too was on the look for one I received a text with the link to a Craigslist ad. I opened it and this is what I found.

"1993 Dodge Colt - $200"

The ad went onto say it was a decent car that had the distributor replaced recently. It also mentioned the car had an engine problem and wouldn't start. This was on a Saturday. This same day my friend and I went down to look at it. A week later we went and picked it up.

8/4/2012

That night we unloaded the car and started work on it. By Sunday the 5th we had the old 4g15 out. I was highly motivated to work on this car. Which surprised me for what it was.

8/4/2012

8/5/2012

Oh, did I forget to mention what was wrong with it?!? It threw a rod. From seeing other threads online, it seems the 4g15s do it quite often. Why you ask? I have no clue. Maybe there is a lack of a rev limit on them and they just eat themselves alive; I don't know.

Immediately I started cleaning the engine bay from what you've seen above to this:

That wasn't good enough for me though so I took it to there extreme. I'll just let the pictures do all of the talking.

After all this I was really wanting to either do a 4g37 swap or a 4g63 swap. I thought a 4g63t would make this completely useless in the winter. That and I did not have the funds to support buying everything for the swap. As a matter of a fact, I barely do now!

Any who, I ended up finding a 4g15 and just threw it in there calling it good.

I did what I wound consider a "mini wire-tuck". I pretty much just rerouted everything and moved the vacuum sensor...stuff.

She was "done"!

Last edited by DSMINMN; 09-01-2013 at 02:13 PM..
DSMINMN is offline   Reply With Quote