Thread: Project Lex
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2011   #300
Andrew7dg
Built it from scratch!

Drives: Currently Mitsu-less
Re: Project Lex

Quote:
Again, I'm not the first to do this. There is a guy in Florida who has done this on several of these cars. Go on youtube and search SC300 Megasquirt and you'll find a bunch of southern florida guys using it. His name is Jordan, and he calls his product "powersquirt" so you'll see that in the videos a lot.
I know you are not the first to do this. The 2jz and the 7m have both been MS by version 1 2 and MS3 (the MS3 is the most interesting to me though. Lots of options and thought put into that standalone) Myself, I am not familiar with MS ing a 2jz but after building a couple for a couple of different cars, it is really easy to understand how any ECU works on any car. My best description is "It is like hooking up a stereo to your tv, dvd, ps3.... There are inputs and outputs plus you must make sure it is plugged in. " Hopefully I am not sounding rude at all when I make comments. Just trying to help a fellow MSer

Quote:
The 2JZ uses VR sensors within the distributor. Both cam and crank. I am using the cam signal. I think I'm actually bringing both in, but I have USE CAM SIGNAL IF AVAILABLE checked in the program. Look at post 228 for how I wired it. The NE signal is supposidly the CRANK signal, and I'm using G2 for the CAM signal. I am tapping it so both MS and the stock ECU still see it. I tapped the signal on the wire that goes to the ECU (about 1ft prior to the ECU). The MS wire is shielded. I do not have the end where I tapped grounded though. I pulled back and heatshrunk the shielding on that end. The other end is the MS connector, and I'm assuming that end is grounded internally or something. I believe that's how it calls out to hook it up. Don't ground the shield on the "sensor" end, but ground it on the connector end.
After I asked the question I googled it and found out it does use two vr sensors, one is a 12 tooth wheel and the other is a Top Dead Center trigger so ms knows which one to fire on for sequential injecton. You should be able to tap into it with the MS and stock ECU both in place if the stock wire wasn't shielded, it really doesn't matter if the MS is shielded. Rarely is there noise by the stock ECU. it is usually in the engine bay by the coils.

Quote:
Again I don't know much about MS yet, but here's my initial thoughts on why it also affects the cars tach. It is losing sync. Not the TS program, but actual MS is losing sync correct? Well MS is controlling the fuel and ignition. So if it loses sync, the fuel/ignition being output from MS for that split second is "bad", so the car is actually missing for that split second. You can feel it, you can even hear it in the video. It's not just the tach signal, the car is really actually missing when the sync loss happens.
TS is just reporting what MS actually sees and yes the MS is loosing sync, I can even hear it in the video when it misfires.

You don't have the wires for the 12 tooth and TDC switch because if you did, it wouldn't run at all

My comment is that it has to be down stream somewhere because your stock ECU is also loosing sync. Most often for me when it is loosing sync like that, it is because the builder of the MS soldered something inside the case wrong and so MS looses sync. Tach usually reads just fine besides the dip when it misses.

Your case is different. My guess is that your tach on your dash gets a signal from your stock ECU. So both the stock ECU and MS are receiving a bad signal somewhere down stream from the ECUs. It could be that you have to recheck the solder that you made when you tapped in to the signal cable.
It could be that your VR sensor in the distributor is going out when it idles and can't pick the signal up.

Quote:
ike I said, next week when I have time I'm going to pull the carpet back and resolder that connection, and ensure no conductors are exposed. Maybe throw some more tape on there. Also I may hook up the stock ignition again. So the stock ECU will still be controlling Ignition, and MS is only controlling fuel. See if that improves anything. I kind of wish I would have done that in the beginning. Just 1 at a time changes, makes troubleshooting so much easier
Bah it is easier to hook them up at the same time so shane can give you an optimum tune on the car

Quote:
So as for MAPs. I've sent Jordan my MSQ file and he adjusted it and sent it back with a very "base" tune. That's the plan is he's going to help me get it running decent, but then I'll be taking it to Shane to get a real tune done, just want it running fairly decent as I don't want to give Shane an untuned mess that he has to start from scratch on.
It is the spark map that usually needs to get tuned on the dyno. if that is dialed in correctly tuning the VE table is something that can be done on the fly most of the times. I ran someone elses tune on my eclipse for sometime

Quote:
What system are you running? MS2, 3, etc? I'm working on making myself a custom dashboard in TunerStudio. You got any cool dashboards I could see or use? I like that default Green one that you see in the video that came with TS, but I'm going to make something with histographs so I can watch actual logged AFR vs. Target AFR and what not. And only throw gauges on there that I care about.
I use MS2 as that fits my needs for most 4 cylinders (and works pretty well for V8 also). I modified the MS chip so that it would do 4 cylinder sequential injection with the help of an "adder board"
TS is pretty universal with both. I don't have any need dashboard sorry to say. I usually stick with the standard gauges and fit which ones I need to see on the dash. Looking at the green one with bars gives me a headache but Ricers LOVE it. "hey you have a standalone on your car!" now I need to find a warning flasher or something that says my manifold pressure is too great....

GET THE FULL VERSION OF TUNERS STUDIO, there is a tune as you go option that is not on the free ware. Pay the money it isn't that much and that will help you tune as you drive. It helped me dial in my VE table. (it is really hard to tune with only myself in the car...