Halon
Pewp Champion

Drives: Teh Bean
Send a message via AIM to Halon
Re: Project Lex

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotalon1g View Post
How much power stock can those hold?
This is going to be the motor you build right?
Yes, this will be built. To try and keep it simple without going into all the details, all 2JZ blocks are virtually the same, Non-VVTi NA (GE), VVTi NA, TT (GTE), etc. are all virtually the same block. And it's no secret that these blocks can hold ridiculous power, even in stock form (700tq is a general guideline as the limit of the stock rods). But everyone wants the GTE motor because it's the TT motor. Most don't do the research to understand the non-vvti GE motor is also virtually just as strong, so that makes the GE motor less desirable (and cheaper). It's a GTE motor, but with 10:1 compression instead of 8.5:1 and no oil squirters, that generally speaking is the main short block differences. And I'd take 10:1 over 8.5:1 on e85 anyday!

Now, the VVTi GE motor, Toyota decided to put weaker (lighter) rods in the GE VVTi motor for whatever reason. These are the newer NA motors found in GS300's and IS300's. So that makes those even MORE undesirable. That's really how I got it so cheap, because nobody wants GE VVTi motors because it has the weaker rods that can "only handle 500hp" without becoming the weak link. Well to me that doesn't matter because I'm putting in built internals. So the fact nobody wants them just really works out in my favor. PLUS, VVTi is seen by so many people as some sort of black magic that's a tuners worst nightmare, so people avoid it thinking it's just going to be so difficult to tune, so why bother. Truth is, several folks have tuned it and the information is out there, and it's supposidely not that complicated. Advance 40* starting around like 1500rpm's. Gradually reduce it down to 0* Advance by around 5000rpm, that's all there is to it. I checked with my tuner, he said he's done several before and it's awesome, and is currently building a VVTi setup for his 80mm Supra. It makes a tremendous difference in the lower RPM range. Some folks even said that other than maybe Nitrous, there isn't another mod that will give you this big of a low end gain. It will not make more horsepower overall, but it'll make it sooner and give you a much fatter power band. See comparison below of Non-VVTi (thin line) vs. VVTi (bold line). But there is this mindset by the majority still that VVTi a nightmare, so again makes it less desirable and just a sweeter deal for me. Also means I can maybe jump to a 66mm turbo or something which I never would have considered before as it'd be seemingly so laggy to me, but I can retain as good of low end as I already have because of VVTi plus with the 10:1 compression still feel very responsive

OK I guess I rambled, lol.

VVTi Dyno Comparison:
http://media.fyre.co/GiQkr0FrSjqTX7t...2002.43.06.jpg
2006 Bayliner 195 - Carbed 5.0 Top Speed Test

Last edited by Halon; 09-20-2016 at 02:11 PM..
Halon is offline   Reply With Quote