Thread: Project Lex
View Single Post
Old 09-15-2016   #1365
Halon
Pewp Champion

Drives: Teh Bean
Send a message via AIM to Halon
Re: Project Lex

Thanks for the input. Low to mid 9s was my initial thought too when I started looking into this. But soon as I started talking to Real St, they highly recommended 10:1. They continued to say that is the sweet spot on these motors with e-fuel. I told them my concerns about climate and seasonal blends, this being a street car i dont want to have anything on the edge, and they said yep they understand but their recommendation was still 10:1 as it is perfect for what I want. This is exactly why I chose to talk with a reputable Supra shop because I want the scoop straight from the folks who know this platform. So I took that info and then spoke with the gentleman who will be tuning my car. His name is Vlad, he is an absolute AEM guru and is a big Supra guy (which is why I choose him, he knows this platform in and out and he to apply this ecu to it). He tunes cars all day everyday, his specialty is the 2jz, and he has built a couple of his own personal 1000+ Supras and also owns an SC. He said he absolutely echos Real St, and he actually said anywhere between 10-10.5 is what he would run.

So with that information, I started to re think and research more. Sure enough, that is what all the top guys are saying. So with 9:1 TT pistons, that puts my NA setup at 9.9:1. So that seems to be a good choice e for me I think, staying at the lower end of that 10 - 10.5:1 range.

Plan is to have a local guy named Daniel Koetz do the build. He recently purchased my uncles entire engine / machine shop business, and has worked at places like MAP and RavenWorks, and has come highly recommended. He will likely be building another 2JZ right before mine too, so will be nice to have a local guy with some experience on this particular motor that I can trust. So assuming his quote comes back reasonable, he will be doing the build.

I've also been thinking about busing a core for him to build rather than pull mine out and give to him. That way I can have it slowly built on the side, without taking my car down, and swap once I'm totally ready. With that thought, would be the perfect time to convert to a VVTI motor (tunable variable intake timing). It'll give me much improved low end, and infinity can control it, and sounds like Vlad has tuned plenty of them before and can set it up pretty easily, and is in fact building a VVTI setup for himself at the moment. So, if anyone knows of any IS300's getting parted out, I'm in the market for a complete 2JZGE VVTI motor
2006 Bayliner 195 - Carbed 5.0 Top Speed Test
Halon is offline   Reply With Quote