Thread: Project Lex
View Single Post
Old 07-26-2017   #1593
Halon
Pewp Champion

Drives: Teh Bean
Send a message via AIM to Halon
Re: Project Lex

I don't want a BRZ, but thanks Lots of other things I'd have other than that.

Might as well stick with this car. I've put so much time/effort into little things on this car, like rebuilding & powdercoating the rear subframe with all new OEM fasteners, the expensive things that go unnoticed like the new control arms everywhere, the new expensive door hinges, zero rust. It'd kinda suck to start over at this point. So I'm going to keep moving forward with my original plans with one potential change. I'm not sure if I want to run my new BW SXE turbo. I should have waited to buy that, was kinda an impulse thing. Something about telling people it's just a little 61mm and they think wtf you put that pea shooter on a 2jz for. Then seeing their reaction to the 700hp it's putting out. It's just funny because everyone puts on 66-67mm or bigger on these cars. People will buy an S366 with the goal of 500-600hp. So it's kinda fun to be able to show some of those guys they don't need these huge turbos just because that's what everyone on the internet says.

And at this power level, I feel like I'm in a really good spot. I get good 1st gear traction on this wheel/tire setup with boost by gear, and I can pretty much run max boost in all further gears. I'm still using a single disc clutch. My 'weak points' are already being addressed. Adding another 100hp with the larger turbo may not be as great as it seems if I need to drop $2k on an expensive clutch setup that doesn't drive as nice. Maybe my 3" exhaust starts to hold me back. Maybe my current tires don't hold well anymore and I have to get something even more ridiculous. I think this power level is a beautiful spot to be at right now.

So not sure about that yet, I have time to think about it. I really want to see what this does at the track, that might help me figure out what direction I go as well. If it traps really well, maybe I'll look into getting a set of drag wheels/tires, and see what a little 61mm can do with some time and practice. A low 10sec pig on a 61mm would also be fun to get some folks reactions.
2006 Bayliner 195 - Carbed 5.0 Top Speed Test
Halon is offline   Reply With Quote