View Single Post
Old 01-19-2013   #350
Mark Leasure

Re: Mark's 1G Winter Projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornFed2.4 View Post
Man always good work in this thread. Of I don't make it out with a car I gotta at least come see this run.

Good work!
Thanks, I plan on attending both PG everts this year. They are always a good time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotalon1g View Post
Crazy!!
Did you see john wigger's car?
He chopped the front of his car off too!
Yep I saw his too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carltalon View Post
What He said. I thnk John said it weighed 43 pounds. Your more hardcore then me I only had the balls to cut the lower support off of mine I was thinking about going all the way back to the strut towers. I can't wait to see this thing out next summer.
Thanks, should be a fun summer. John's 43lbs sounds about right, I had more weight since I still had the bumper crash absorbers and a little of the crash beam remaining. This is not that hard core, I still left the top part to mount the radiator/fans and head lights, others I have seen do this mod remove everything. The material thickness of the top is very thin and barely weighs anything, but my thought that if I kept it in palace it would make my job much easier. Not much to figure out on this one, I hope!
Quote:
Originally Posted by scheides View Post
Holy shit.

I hate to ask this since maybe it's too late, but how do you make sure that the chassis stays straight while you're welding in the new parts? Shouldn't there be some temporary crossmembers welded in or something?
No worries on the chassis. Everything is very stable and the cut is after all of the motor and trans mounts. The only thing the front needs to take care of is the roll stop motor mount and then determine where the radiator and intercooler sit. The car is on jack stands and I measured everything up prior to cutting. It will be spot welded in and assembled before I finish weld the tubular front up. Then off to paint. I need to have it don't in 2 weeks. I still need to source some chromeoly tube too.
Fastest: 92 Talon AWD – 8.14 @ 171 MPH
www.maperformance.com
Mark Leasure is offline   Reply With Quote