View Single Post
Old 03-30-2017   #49
niterydr
back in the saddle again

24 Hours Rally Champion! 3D Pacman white house edition Champion! 3D Racing - Track 2 Champion! ATV Winter Challenge Champion! Bloody Pingu Champion! WRX Racing 2 Champion!
Tournaments Won: 5

Drives: 2015 Ram Quad Cab Hemi, 1999 FRC Corvette, 93 Stealth Turbo
Send a message via AIM to niterydr
Re: Back into the big leagues: Project FRC

Wideband review:

So being a tuner and a DIY car owner on a budget, I constantly find myself at a crossroads when it comes to tuning things. Knowledge is power and for me I end up chasing details that truly don't matter. This is especially true when I am logging micro changes to get 02 feedbacks to within 3% and other parameters tighter than the factory runs things.

What does matter is accurate sensors. I dug around and looked at other options and came across a product from 14Point7.

https://www.14point7.com/products/sp...a-controller-2

I have been running two of these Spartan sensors and they are very responsive and accurate. The housings themselves are weatherproof so I mounted them in the engine bay of the corvette.

I don't have many pictures of the install unfortunately, but here are the widebands in the x-pipe

I've been tuning with them using Lambda as my logging PID and I can say they are very responsive, very accurate, and I will be recommending them for customers in the future that need a wideband. Cost effective, reliable, fast to warm up, accurate, responsive, rugged; you need nothing else but a gauge.

You also can't beat the price of $125 each using a new Bosch LSU 4.9 sensor. Granted this isn't lab grade stuff, but for a permanent install they are the way to go. Readily available sensors and easy to find. Much better than the older 4.2 LSU sensors and closer to the older NTK sensors I am used to using.

You can order them even on Amazon and get free shipping.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MT4RDNF

With how cheap these are, there is absolutely no reason to not have a wideband in your car. What is really nice about these is they will also emulate a narrowband sensor output, I haven't tried that as I added them and kept all my stock 02 sensors hooked up; yes that means I have 6 on the car. Standard 0-5V output means any gauge can be used, or you can feed them directly into the ECU or logger; such I am using with HP Tuners PRO.

I would say 2 thumbs up for sure.

Last edited by niterydr; 03-30-2017 at 10:20 PM..
niterydr is offline   Reply With Quote