Thread: E85 set-ups
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2008   #20
Shane@DBPerformance
formerly ecoli

Send a message via AIM to Shane@DBPerformance
Re: E85 set-ups

On the Evos we almost always just throw in some 1000cc injectors when we goto E85 on the stock Evo 8 and Evo 9 turbos. I have done a bunch like that with the factory ECU and the AEM EMS. Power has been in the 320awhp to 380awhp ranges, all on stock turbos. I haven't done an Evo on E85 with bigger than an Evo 9 turbo yet. I did max out a single Walbro Evo fuel system on race gas on our dyno at 480awhp though, so I think pushing close to 400awhp on a single Walbro might be about it on E85.

I don't know the IDCs on my setup, my car is a poor example though, the big injectors are over compensating for too little fuel pump and fuel pressure dropping. My fuel system isn't up to par at all and I have seen drastically different A/F ratios without ever changing the tune. It did make within 5whp with the A/Fs in the low 12s versus richer than 10:1 on E85.

It probably wouldn't be a huge deal for Mo to goto a duel rail setup though. He has Rau's old intake manifold from his 2G AWD with everything on it to run a second rail. I think Mo might actually have a stock DSM rail and stock injectors clogging the holes right now. He also has an AEM that can do staged injection. The factory Mitsu ECUs can actually handle 1600cc injector better than the AEM, when we do 1600cc injs with the AEM EMS we pretty much always do a peak and hold injector driver box and they still can be hard to control at idle/low load. We run 1000cc injectors for primarys and 1600cc injectors for secondarys that start kicking in when the primarys reach 85% duty cycle on that white Evo.