View Single Post
Old 12-07-2008   #56
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51
Re: Whats new with Teh Gheyrod...

RS Trunk Bar:
This is available at Brookdale Mitsu where I got mine or from MAP. It comes stock on the Evo RS's and does require some trimming to fit the GSR/MR's. I had to trim and inch or so off the bottom of the plastic panel at the back of the trunk. The trunk wall carpeting fits ok over it, but you won't be able to get all the pop pins back in unless you do some trimming of that too which I did not since I'm happy with how it hides the bar ends. The wood panel that covers the spare tire and the trunk carpeting slide neatly underneath the bar or if you would prefer to hide the bar the carpet can go on top of it for a nearly hidden install. The plastic panel that needs removing is held in with 4 plastic pins which need to be popped out before lifting straight up disconnecting the 4 remaining pins. The 4 that need to be removed are very fragile and I managed to break all of them so be gentle! Driving the car I really couldn't notice a difference but that's just after some highway driving with my snow tires on so the real test will be next spring at the autocross track. This combined with my rear strut tower bar should add plenty of stiffness to the rear of the car. I performed the install with the rear of the car on jackstands to remove some pressure off the chassis.

Beatrush Propeller (Driveshaft) Bushings:
I purchased mine from 201 Motorsports during their Black Friday Sale but I know MAP can get them too. I did the install with the car on jackstands and me laying on my back on a wet/cold garage floor. Like everything else, having a lift would make this job much easier. Overall though the install was very straight forward and easy. For tools I needed nothing other than a ratchet, some extensions, and some sockets. Other people have noted that they needed a swivel for their socket which could depend on the exhaust you have. I personally have a Buschur turboback with testpipe; a cat would have made the install more difficult. I did not have to drop or move my exhaust. When you get under there you'll see 4 bolts holding the driveshaft up with rubber bushings. Do one bracket at a time, remove the bolts, remove the rubber bushings, and push the new Beatrush aluminum bushings into place. They are a very tight fit so press hard! One of mine just would not fit so I had to sand it down a bit. The big bushing goes on the bottom and the ring goes on top. Once those are in place simply line everything back up and tighten the nuts. You will need to remove a little heatshield on the forward driveshaft bracket; its held on by 2 little nuts so is very quick to come off and if you're running a testpipe probably not important to put back on (even though I did). Once I got my car out on the road drivetrain noise has definitely decreased and things feel smoother overall. I'd imagine this is because the shaft is now more securely mounted to the chassis and can't flop around as much anymore. To note, I also have a Blox front motor mount (engine roll stopper) and Energy Suspension rear differential mount bushings so my drivetrain is very securely mounted and doesn't move around a whole lot which is great. There is a bit added noise/vibration over stock with this engine mount and diff bushings but its well worth it and completely livable even for a daily-driven Evo (which mine is). All of this helps to transfer the power to the ground more quickly and make shifts a lot crisper and accurate.

Pictures will be posted later today.
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote