View Single Post
Old 01-08-2016   #527
bramagedained

Drives: EVO IX SSL
Re: Meet GheyRay: Lower, Wider, Lighter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by A//// Guy View Post
The LED bulbs I have inside my house get very hot, the heatsink near the base does at last.

That's at least partially due to having to convert 120v AC to probably <5V DC in the footprint of the socket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodhart
What I've learned (basically just from reading on that diode dynamics site) is that when buying a higher quality LED you are basically paying for a bulb with better heat dissipation qualities than a cheaper one. That and higher sometimes light output.
When I was digging through this stuff before I made that lightbar for the Raptor I learned that there is only a handful of companies that actually make the chips themselves.

Even then, on a given run of chips from a brand name like CREE, they are split into luminosity "bins" based on color temperature and lumen output.

A lot of the LED bulbs(for cars) have some kind of load resistor in their base to drop the voltage, which along with the size of the LED die itself gives you a more concentrated heat source than a tungsten filament which then makes the glass bulb itself hot.
bramagedained is offline   Reply With Quote