View Single Post
Old 11-21-2006   #34
DSMcrazy3

Re: big bore kit for 420a

Quote:
Originally Posted by blesi660r View Post
welcome to the site! thanks for the info! how much boost can the block hold thats what i am woundering the most, forged internals are in the very near future along with some crane cams i know they can handel tons of boost but will my block beable to!
Each motor is different. Most people don't go over 8 psi, and that's with a 12:1 FMU and walbro 255 on stock injectors. With upgraded injectors, S-FMU and the walbro you can get up to probably 10 safely(granted compression #'s are good) but that's still considered pushing it..

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-pride
Not the 12's unless the turbo kit comes with fuel upgrades(fuel pump, bigger injectors, fuel pressure regulator and some sort of AFC not including the missing link).
Like total said the walbro 255 is normally what people go with in the kits and they aren't too expensinve. Also that deals are availible for injectors for not much and the S-FMU is a common purchase when going turbo. Especially for those with serious plans of rebuilding.

As for the AFC, that's what MSnS is (Megasquirt and spark). That's the tuning program that nearly all big powered 420a's are running. As for the actual tune, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to use megasquirt. There is the megasquirt forum as well as the 420a management forum on DSMtuners to read up on, not to mention 2gnt.

Quote:
Good price on the motor build but I don't think you can get a fully built 420a for that price. Maybe a short block.
Well the 420a head was designed by Lotus, and is much newer than the 4g63 head. Not much really needs to be done to the head...Not for a good while. Hahn reached the 11's with their 420a running a completely stock head.

Quote:
So, honestly how much have you put into you 420a-T to get 214hp and what are your mods.
At the time of my dyno my mods were:

Garrett/aiResearch T3 60 trim
Ebay manifold
2.5 turbo back exhaust
12:1 FMU
Walbro 255 lph
2g SMIC

6 psi

As for money, now I've probably put around $3000 total(mods) into my car, that's just a rough estimate though..