View Single Post
Old 10-24-2017   #105
niterydr
back in the saddle again

24 Hours Rally Champion! 3D Pacman white house edition Champion! 3D Racing - Track 2 Champion! ATV Winter Challenge Champion! Bloody Pingu Champion! WRX Racing 2 Champion!
Tournaments Won: 5

Drives: 2015 Ram Quad Cab Hemi, 1999 FRC Corvette, 93 Stealth Turbo
Send a message via AIM to niterydr
Re: Back into the big leagues: Project FRC

Well I never made it back to the drag strip. I think with some additional tweaking and a better launch on a cooler day I can break 12.5 in this car. Will find out in the spring.

Final tally came back for MOWOG series.

http://forum.mnautox.com/results/mna..._Standings.htm

I ended up 10th overall in the Z class (of 48 entries). The car moved from STU to CAM-S mid way through the season, and I think with some off season tweaks it will be competitive.

Driver of the year I ended up in 44th of 330. There are a lot of people that only went once. Overall it was a good first full season of autocross, but I have learning to do.

http://forum.mnautox.com/results/mna...7_MAC_DOTY.htm

In reviewing the year in the vehicle I am pretty happy with it's performance. A few cosmetic things I want to clean up over the winter, but I think next season will be focusing on improving the nut behind the wheel.

I will most likely keep the staggered 17/18 setup on the corvette and try to get the maximum size tire I can get on there that match. Hankook RS4 seem to fit that bill.

I ran:
Bridgestone RE-71R
Sizes:
245/40/17 Front
275/35/18 Rear
Width:
8.6" Front
10" Rear

Hankook Ventus RS-4:
Sizes:
255/40/17 Front
285/35/18 Rear
Width:
9.4" Front
10.6" Rear
(or go with a 295/40/18 rear and have 11" rear width)

I think the extra width will help with cornering grip. I've thought about going the next size up for RE-71r's, but they run a bit smaller than the RS4's and I cannot find any first hand comparisons between RE-71's and RS4's. It really sucks trying to find tires in the 17/18 staggered sizes, maybe something new will come down the pipeline this winter that meets the criteria:
  • <$1000 a set
  • >200 tread wear
  • Ability to street drive and get over 6000 street miles
  • Keep the diameters so the fronts are smaller than the rear

So beyond tires I plan on entertaining a few other ideas:
Power:
Porting the LS2 manifold more
Porting the throttle body more
Swapping out the 75mm MAF for a 85mm MAF
Dyno time

If I can shake down a money tree, I'll add a mild cam/spring setup, that is all it needs for power until the driver gets better.

Reliability:
Cooling: I'd like to add an oil cooler and brake cooling ducts to the front and rear calipers

Aero:
I think a rear wing within rules may help with downforce. Not at autocross speeds but on the road course. I plan to try my hand at HPDE with this car next season. There has been a lot of research on this and I believe that if I add a spoiler with a 8" or smaller chord length I won't need a front chin spoiler, which is good as adding one of those is aesthetically pleasing but a pain in the ass when you have a bottom feeder car.

Interior:
The factory seats suck. Aftermarket options seem to suck. Still researching this, I really don't want to add weight, I want to stay FIA complaint, I don't want to ruin street manners, and I'd like to add a harness to keep me bucked in. More research required on this setup.

Driver:
The most important mod. Ryan beat me all year. Yes Ryan has been doing this longer, but that shows that the driver/owner isn't as capable as the car is. More training needed for this guy.