View Single Post
Old 03-05-2015   #23
s1ngletracker

Drives: A BMW
Re: Tubular chassis builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogwhistle View Post
I'll find him and contact him for sure, thanks!
I also contacted the fab team that did the green 240 drift car at MAP's show and he estimated roughly 6K give or take for taking the shell and adding in a tubular skeleton throughout allowing all the stock stamped metal to still serve as mounts and shaping, yet have the rigidity needed to not worry about strut rust, floor pan damage/repair, etc. The issue I felt with going with that option was simply the feeling that cars or at least street cars weren't their biggest markey/forte along with a long time frame which didn't bother me however.
Are you sure he wasn't just quoting you on a tubular front suspension/structure and/or roll cage? That seems awfully cheap. You do realize that once you remove the unibody, you have little to no positional references right? This is a massive undertaking to do it right and get all the pickup points dimensionally the same.

If all you want is something rust free, just find another pristine running/driving DSM from down south or something. It will cost you less and be far less hassle and you'll get what you're expecting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogwhistle View Post
IThe car would continue to be driven on a regular basis (currently everyday, but doesn't have to stay that way by any means.) I would mainly be interested in something light, stiff, safe, and resistant to the usual corrosion and abuse that most DSM's suffer from.
I don't think you realize what this would actually be... a stripped out, loud, harsh, rough, bare bones race car. Even trying to fit all your creature comforts back in there would be ludicrous and difficult. You would NOT want to daily drive it.

Are you sure this is what you really want? I'm seconding Nate on this.

Sponsored by DB Performance (dbptuning.com)

A dsm, a bimmer, a DORGE CUMMINZ, and a non running DSM race car... for now.

Last edited by s1ngletracker; 03-05-2015 at 10:20 AM..
s1ngletracker is offline   Reply With Quote