Thread: Project Lex
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2011   #298
Andrew7dg
Built it from scratch!

Drives: Currently Mitsu-less
Re: Project Lex

I thought I saw a sync problem in the first video but didn't know for sure if that was the computer or connection to the MS or what.

What kind of signal does the 2jz use? Is it an opto cam or a VR cam signal? are there 2 signals being outputed? cam and crank?

Depending on the type of signal that the ecu is seeing, you may not be able to have both the Stock ECU and the MS system share the same signal. Not a big problem and there are ways around it. You can hook the signal directly up to the MS and have the MS generate another tach output signal for the stock ecu.

Are you tapping the signal from the cam sensor itself or tapping it from where the ECU sees it?

Make sure that the signal cable is shielded with a shielded wire
It should stay away from ignition components. Ignition components have A LOT of noise that could scramble the cam crank signal but if you are using the stock wires I don't think it would be too much of a problem.

What worries me is that the tach on the dash is also seeing the problem and that it isn't just megasquirt seeing the problem. if it was just megasquirt, you know something inside wasn't soldered up or using incorrect pullups to take the signal from the car. Check the signal connection. The lost sync may be present still at higher RPMs but not enough where it makes a difference for the computer to put a check engine light

Are you using someone elses spark and fuel maps for a 2jz or are you using what the ECU came with?

*edit because I really don't know much about the 2jz motor..*

is it a distributor or Coil pack or coil on plug?

You could totally switch to using a coil pack or coil on plug setup on that motor with that MS3 setup.

Last edited by Andrew7dg; 01-21-2011 at 10:00 AM..
Andrew7dg is offline   Reply With Quote