View Single Post
Old 08-16-2010   #80
MustGoFaster

Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion!
Drives: A big dirty V8
Send a message via ICQ to MustGoFaster Send a message via AIM to MustGoFaster Send a message via Yahoo to MustGoFaster Send a message via Skype™ to MustGoFaster
Re: Project:No replacment for displacment.

I am not planning on re-modding at this point. The overall goal is to have a car that I can't blame for not winning. After that it's all me. Also, to not depend on someone else to provide that car for me. So, by de-modding now I will have nice new tires to run at Nationals, and to get me most of the way through next season to learn on.

Stock tire sizes are 265F/295R. The 295/315 combo is what most Super Stock C5Z's run for tires. The stock wheel sizes are 17x9.5 front and 18x10.5 rear. A 10" wide rim is recommend for the 295, and a 1/2" squeeze is "nothing" in AX terms.

Chris, the SCCA rule on tires for stock classes is that they have to be DOT legal tires. Hoosier and Kumho built tires specifically to meet DOT requirements, but kick the crap out of everything else for grip. So while legal to drive them on the road (at least right when they are new) it is unadvisable, due to wear, and durability concerns. When the rule was written, these tires didn't exist, and street tires were craptastic. There is currently some debate going about changing the rules to require street tires in stock classes.