Thread: Project Lex
View Single Post
Old 03-17-2017   #1473
Halon
Pewp Champion

Drives: Teh Bean
Send a message via AIM to Halon
Re: Project Lex

Well just some small updates. Some of you saw in the shoutbox, but I ran into a couple issues.

Wednesday I went to take the car around the block, and it felt ridiculously slow and I couldn't rev over 4500rpm. Vlad remoted in and told me the Wideband sensor died and the ECU went into a fail-safe limp mode because of it. Ran to O'Reilly and grabbed a new Bosch 17018 sensor (I NEED TO SAVE THIS P/N SOMEWHERE!!!) as that's a readily available LSU 4.2 sensor with the AEM style connector. Threw that in and bam limp mode fixed, no more 4500rpm limit!

However car was still super slow feeling. Turns out one of my IC pipes blew off. I guess I'm so used to DSM's with MAS sensors where you blow the pipe and the car runs like dog shit and you know right away. This car not having a MAS, it still started, idled, and drove great, so took me awhile to realize it lol. I removed the pipe and made sure there was no rocks or road debris (thanks for that idea Pat). Got it all back together and she's running like a top again!

I went to get it aligned on Thursday. They found that my front control arm bushings were shot so they weren't even going to attempt working on the front. They did do the rears though to the specs I asked for. Overall it went good I guess because we identified an issue. So I've ordered a pair of new Supra front lower control arms with bushings, and also some new Moog upper control arms. So I'll put those in over the next couple weeks and hopefully the front will be good to go for another 100k miles. I'll bring it back and get the alignment redone at that point.

Today Kerry and I took it to the Auto Show and did a couple pulls. The new tune has us getting all the way up to 27psi by around 5200rpm, but gradually tapering to 22psi by redline. Holds better than it used to but still interesting how it tapers. I was sitting here staring at the log. I realized that AEM is showing that I'm flowing 70lb/min by 6500rpm and basically holding that until redline. This comp wheel is rated at 72lb/min. So being that I'm seeing 70lb/min, I'm wondering if I might just actually be about maxed out on this setup. My brain is so used to DSM stuff where I was pushing 35psi on a similar turbo to hit these kinda flow values, with 2 more cylinders now maybe I'm hitting those same amounts at less boost and this turbo will never hold 30psi to redline?

Anyway, car is feeling excellent! 3rd gear holds from a roll if the tires have had a chance to warm up. Here's a screen shot of my 3rd gear pull log.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	968
Size:	265.2 KB
ID:	16434  
2006 Bayliner 195 - Carbed 5.0 Top Speed Test
Halon is offline   Reply With Quote