View Single Post
Old 06-23-2011   #92
Mark Leasure

Re: Mark's 1G Winter Projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheides View Post
You are a fukin rip! I'm very very impressed how you got everything back together so quickly, nice work! Got any carnage pics?

Also, did you have to yank the motor completely apart or did you just yank the timing components, pull the oil pan off and leave the pistons in the block?
Just took apart what I needed to. The oil pan came off, removed the front case/oil pump, and unbolted the mains and rods. Remove the spark plugs and then pushed the pistons down in the bore. Then I just swapped out the crank. It was about a 3 hour process with the motor out of the car, cleaned all the main and rod caps, gasket and bearing prep, and installation.

Kind of cool, I primed the oil system with the engine on the stand, using a drill on the oil pump with the pan full of oil. I keep the turbo drain line on the pan so oil didn’t leak out. To my surprise the drill on high speed was not enough to prime the system. The oil filter was too much of a restriction to pull oil into the pump. I removed the oil filter and spun the pump and it pushed oil out of the filter housing, spun the filter on and continued spinning the pump for about 3-5 seconds until I saw oil coming from the turbo oil feed line. Primed. So I doubt that the oil system will prime on a new motor from just turning it over, like people think it does. My drill spins the oil pump much faster than the starter does turning the motor.
Mark Leasure is offline   Reply With Quote