View Single Post
Old 03-20-2014   #3035
Murlo26

Drives: 17 Honda Accord
Re: Dave's Evo X Build/The Life of Dave blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by asshanson View Post
I agree with Kracka on the brakes, don't go to a small brake kit. Especially with how heavy the X is. A lighter wheel/tire combo will have a greater effect because a lot of the mass is further from the center which is what takes the most torque to spin.

Or, if you're just wanting the 17" wheel for tire options, I'm sure there are plenty of R compound tires available in the 18" size. How about the Nitto NT05-R or the NT01? Or the Toyo RA-1? Why are you changing from 10.5" to 9.5" width?
The wheel change was simply to find a solid drag radial tire, like the ones from MT i linked above. They don't have a 275 or 285 so my wheel size won't work.

I have thought about something like what you have listed.

My bottom line, I want to be able to cut decent 60' times at the track. I don't necessarily need the 1.3-1.5 from slicks, but I would like to get consistent 1.6-1.7 times that an AWD car should be capable of (keep in mind, taking out of the equation driving skill, that is another topic lol).

I am not crazy about the small brakes either, which is why I am asking. But many people on the national forums said even wide sticky summer tires like star specs or others won't cut great times. Most guys recommend if you are serious about getting times, get some 17's and slicks. I was trying to find a middle ground.

I don't honestly drive the car a ton and I "could" make it into a dedicated drag car but not sure I want to. I still want to be able to do things like the mitsu cruise etc, which I will need brakes for.
Murlo26 is offline   Reply With Quote