View Single Post
Old 07-08-2016   #116
bramagedained

Drives: EVO IX SSL
Re: My "new" car/project.

I've put about 350-400 miles on the car. I made it to the July Cars and Coffee with the car.

Bleeding the brakes didn't go well as Wilwood did a shitty job machining the spacer between the two halves of one of them. I disassembled the caliper and corrected it.

I will need to eventually install the proportioning valve that I have to add some bias to the rear. Really, it will just replace the OEM one that I left on there to see what would happen. The way OEM is set up doesn't seem to throw enough pressure at the rear. It is designed around small disk brakes in the front and drums in the rear afterall.

Even without fixing that, it definitely stops way better than it did before.

I should probably take it some where for a real alignment, right now it is done with a tape measure and a level. In doing so, I didn't have the steering wheel completely straight which is somewhat annoying. I can let go of the wheel and it will track straight, it's just turned slightly right of center.

On a warm day(above 85° or so) it was getting hot. A tad above 210° even with the heater on.

I bought an aluminum radiator to replace the stock 42 year old one which showed up on Thursday. However, I've still not been able to test it. I was having issues getting the water neck to seal which was all pitted from either shitty casting or just being old.

A new one will show up on Sunday.

The fan shroud is now sealed to the radiator and the radiator to the core support. I've also blocked all the random holes in the core support so all the air from the front of the car is forced through the radiator.

I changed out the wiring for the electric fans to a heavier gauge as well, what was there seemed a bit light considering it needs to carry 20-30 amps for the fan.

I'm sure at least part of the problem is that the headers give off a ton of heat, which I'm not really going to do anything about this summer. They will likely be sent off to be ceramic coated this coming winter.

I made a bracket today so I could hook the kickdown cable for the trans back up to the carb. In doing so I found that the throttle cable wasn't adjusted properly. Pedal to the floor didn't actually translate to WOT at the carb, I'd guess it was 20-25% short. Even like that, it goes pretty good.

It seems to be happy with how the timing is set, and the curve from the parts I had for the distributor. Carb tuning needs to happen as well, but, it pulls clean to 6k in any gear. I'm going to convert the secondary side of the carb to jets, then I'd like to head out to a track and make passes and play with jetting. I don't know how much BIR lets things slide on Wednesday nights as far as being NHRA legal goes, as some things right now are not and/or wont be changed until next winter.

Hopefully on Sunday I can go for a drive and see if the changes paid off for cooling.

Last edited by bramagedained; 07-08-2016 at 07:52 PM..
bramagedained is offline   Reply With Quote