Thread: Project Lex
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2016   #1398
Halon
Pewp Champion

Drives: Teh Bean
Send a message via AIM to Halon
Re: Project Lex

Small updates, and also just a few notes for myself.

I had gotten such a good deal on those BC single springs / retainers. But I stumbled across someone selling a Manley single springs / retainers / locks setup. Not that I feel the BC's wouldn't work, but in general I just feel a lot better about the Manley brand. I had thrown Manley a few emails regarding my pistons and rods, and they were very quick to reply, extremely helpful and friendly, and detailed. And when I found these Manley springs for sale I asked them about them and again awesome customer service. For comparison I have sent a couple messages to BC (about cams actually), one of which I've never gotten a reply to, a different later one I did get a nice friendly reply to that time. To me the Manley support was much better and was something I appreciated. So, I threw an offer on the Manley springs similar to what I had paid for the BC's figuring well if I can get them for the same price then hell yeah, and if not no big deal I'll run the BC's. They accepted the offer. They are very similar specs, however the Manley are just a hair stiffer, and also includes new locks (BC you retain your stock ones). The slightly stronger seat pressure I think I will appreciate if I ever do try to run north of say 35psi.

So I threw my BC's up for sale, sold within a day for more than I bought them for which was great Amazing the deals you can find if you watch for people selling off their stuff for their 'planned build' and their circumstances changed. So anyway I'll be running Manley Springs / Retainers / Locks now. Not that it actually means anything, but I like the fact that I have all matching Manley stuff now (Rods, Pistons, Springs), just makes me feel like things are a nice match instead of a mixture from x, y, z. If only they sold some cams, lol.

Before I sent the BC's away, I put a spring and retainer on my little scale just for curiosity. Then I just put a Manley set on the scale too. Kinda bummed because I measured the BC stuff in Ounces (didn't realize I could select grams), which isn't really as granular as grams. When weighing the Manley, I realized Grams was an option. Just kind of wanted to see how different they weighed. I'll be weighing a stock setup too once they're out. But anyway, here's the values I got for them. Oz they are a dead match, if I would have measured the BC's in grams, maybe I would have seen a tiny difference but none-the-less pretty much identical weights. Once I get the head-work started, I'm going to measure a stock set for comparison sake.

BC
Seat @ 1.325"= 80lbs; Open @ 0.980"= 158lbs
Retainer 0.2oz
Spring 1.2oz
Total 1.4oz

Manley
Seat @ 1.325"= 82lbs; Open @ 0.985" @ 165lbs; 0.895 @ 187lbs
Retainer 0.2oz / 6g
Spring 1.2oz / 32g
Total 1.4oz / 38g

BC

Manley

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BC Spring+Retainer.jpg
Views:	1093
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	16289   Click image for larger version

Name:	BC Spring_oz.jpg
Views:	1069
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	16290   Click image for larger version

Name:	BC Retainer_oz.jpg
Views:	981
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	16291  

Name:	BC Spring+Retainer_oz.jpg
Views:	978
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	16292   Click image for larger version

Name:	Manley Spring_oz.jpg
Views:	1042
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	16293   Click image for larger version

Name:	Manley Spring_gr.jpg
Views:	1006
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	16294  

Name:	Manley Retainter_oz.jpg
Views:	1040
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	16295   Click image for larger version

Name:	Manley Retainter_gr.jpg
Views:	971
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	16296   Click image for larger version

Name:	Manley Spring+Retainter_oz.jpg
Views:	986
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	16297  

Name:	Manley Retainter+Spring_gr.jpg
Views:	981
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	16298  
2006 Bayliner 195 - Carbed 5.0 Top Speed Test

Last edited by Halon; 11-21-2016 at 11:26 AM..
Halon is offline   Reply With Quote