Thread: House Projects
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2017   #1042
dogwhistle

Drives: Life's too short to drive boring cars.
Re: House Projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedfreak View Post
I'm considering taking on a tile shower project at home. It's currently a fiberglass setup. So would need to be gutted, then built out correctly.

My question is, what is "correctly", and do you believe it's achievable by someone who has never done it before?
The biggest difficulty is getting all the things leveled out and reconstructed right given that what is often behind a fiberglass setup, isn't tailored to a tile surface. I had new subflooring, and some trusses put in, so I went way farther than most need to. However, once the sub floor was done, tile was a piece of cake. I chose to use a preform base, but even the styled that allow for a tile base with the shaped insert aren't too bad but have to be a little more cautious on due to moisture draining. I just sealed a base and gave an easier starting point for the wall tile. Also, don't expect to have a functioning bathroom for like 6-8 weeks of solid work haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A//// Guy View Post
Sure, its pretty straightforward but still a lot of work. Just watch some videos online and check out the proper way to seal it all up before you apply the tile.

I decided to stick with fiberglass on each of mine for easy cleaning. I just did a tile surround on both to jazz things up.
Surrounds are ultimately so much smarter haha but I'm a picky bitch about it.

Last edited by dogwhistle; 01-23-2017 at 12:22 PM..
dogwhistle is offline   Reply With Quote