View Single Post
Old 09-19-2015   #780
Mark Leasure

Re: Mark's 1G Winter Projects

I had fun at the MAP weekend, unfortunately my car didn't work out as hoped. As for the positives over the weekend, I turned the boost up to 50 psi. The first pass where I drove it off the line with no launch it went 167.49 mph. The addition of 4 psi more boost added 2-3 MPH. I took out 1.5 degrees of timing when I did this to be safe. I had plans on adding a little back in to see if it kept picking up MPH.

Wade completed his license passes, finally! It was an epic rush to get the required passes in on Sunday. He ran 4 passes in about 45mins, requiring a team effort. It was cool to participate and get all the passes in. Pre Celebration:

The bad:

I learned just how critical a good alignment is. I broke rear support tube to the third member differential last week at the muscle car shootout. I welded it back in place, however it effected the rear alignment. I first noticed it at the track when I unloaded the car. Fail! It made the car go all over the track. I needed to drive the shit out of the car to make a pass.

The ugly:

I launched the car on the first pass Saturday, it bogged a little bit, between the 330 and 1/8 mile my drive shaft U joint broke at around 115 MPH. It beat up the under side of my car, and scared the shit out of me! this was the only original joint in the drivetrain! I looked up failure modes, Spicer had a white paper on failure modes. I appears that grease, torque, and application are a contributing factors for burnt/melted cross points.
The plan is to go to the larger 3000GT driveshaft connection to the rear.

It is all correctable and will be better than ever now when it hits the track next time!
Fastest: 92 Talon AWD – 8.14 @ 171 MPH
www.maperformance.com
Mark Leasure is offline   Reply With Quote