View Single Post
Old 12-18-2015   #48
bramagedained

Drives: EVO IX SSL
Re: My "new" car/project.

Well, pretend progress.

I have all the parts for the rear end, rear suspension, rear brakes, front brakes, new 1" master cylinder and a proportioning valve.

Custom parts for the rear swap:

Most of the store-bought parts:

I'm done with school for 3 weeks so I thought I would spend my first day off getting things prepped to actually swap the rear.

I went through the motions, which turned out to be a COMPLETE FUCKING WASTE OF TIME. More on that later.

F150 axles, these need to be cut apart to disassemble the outer CV, which is used along with the new 930 axle shaft and a 930CV as the inner joint.

The shaft needs to be cut off so you can spin the star far enough for the ball bearings to come out so that you can take it apart:

Good thing a pipe vise is in the garage, it made this part fairly easy:

I spun the axle around the other way before I actually cut it, this just made for a better picture:

Done with a cutoff wheel, care taken to not ding the CV joint itself:

Now you can spin the star far enough to get the balls out, which means you can get the whole thing apart:

Star and balls:

CV Joint separated and cleaned, shaft still needs to be pressed out of the star:

Outer stub fits into the Dodge Intrepid hub like it should:

New 930 shaft in what will be the inboard 930 CV joint:

Everything was good until this point. Until I had re-assembled the CV joint and went to slide the 930 axle in.

OH RIGHT THEY DON'T FUCKING FIT:

Despite the F150 axles being for the correct year truck, and correct model, these ones are different internally than how Ford designed them. The Ford design uses less/bigger splines than the shit I bought.

So I wasted $150 and 5 hours today on this. Tomorrow I'm going to try and see if I can source some re-man Ford shafts from an autoparts store. Otherwise I can order ones I now know will work with the 930 shafts from summit and have them on Tuesday/Wednesday.

Last edited by bramagedained; 12-18-2015 at 10:03 PM..
bramagedained is offline   Reply With Quote