Thread: Project Lex
View Single Post
Old 06-01-2017   #1558
Halon
Pewp Champion

Drives: Teh Bean
Send a message via AIM to Halon
Re: Project Lex

I did a little test today. This is far from a controlled experiment but it's data none-the-less.

I looked at my last 3 data logs to try and see if the new FMIC made any noticable difference. Here are my last 3 pulls I did back in March:

PEAK BOOST-----BOOST AT REDLINE-----AIT START-----AIT END-----AIT DELTA-----GEAR
27psi--------------22psi--------------------60*-------------89*----------29*-------------4th
23psi--------------20psi--------------------69*-------------101*---------32*-------------4th
21psi--------------19psi--------------------63*-------------94*----------31*-------------4th

So that was the old setup with the eBay CX Racing FMIC. There is that noticeable boost taper. And also a pretty repeatable ~30* increase in AIT over the course of the pull, even at some 'lower' boost levels.

Here's some data from two pulls I did today over lunch. Now it's obviously a different day today, about a month later in the season, so weather variables are uncontrolled, lol. But thought I'd share what I found anyway. Only real difference on the car would be the FMIC swap with the Treadstone TR1045. Here's the results of today's pulls

PEAK BOOST-----BOOST AT REDLINE-----AIT START-----AIT END-----AIT DELTA-----GEAR
30psi--------------25psi---------------------83*------------95*-----------12*-----------3rd
31psi--------------27psi---------------------84*------------100*----------14*-----------4th

So first thing is the AIT's are significantly better. Secondly boost increased, and the taper doesn't seem so bad anymore to me. Now it's a hotter day today then it was in the March pulls, so I would have thought that would have a negative effect? Or maybe I'm wrong, but none-the-less much better. Perhaps the boost leak in the old FMIC core was a large contributor to the boost taper, and maybe also for the temp.

Anyhow, long story short, I'm very happy with the new FMIC. Considering how little they cost, unless you're running say 15psi or less I don't see any reasonvfor anyone to mess with the eBay cores. Treadstone is my new go-to line for FMIC's now! Solid quality, at a very reasonable price!
2006 Bayliner 195 - Carbed 5.0 Top Speed Test

Last edited by Halon; 06-01-2017 at 12:45 PM..
Halon is offline   Reply With Quote