View Single Post
Old 05-10-2005   #85
TalonFiero
moonshine power

Looney Tunes Mahjong Champion! Mine Sweeper Champion!
Drives: 08 Saab 9-7x Aero
Send a message via AIM to TalonFiero
Re: 50 trim in - lot's of smoke from exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKs50trimGST
ok, do i need dsm link or not? because i would like to know - i was told i don't need it, i really don't understand the concept of knock at all>> i'm sorry for being a newbie about that but all help would be nice on that subject!
DSMlink was needed in my case for getting rid of the Random Misfire issue that 2g owners tend to have when swapping a 1g CAS (needed for 6 bolt swap) into there setup to replace the signal of both the crank position sensor and the 2g CAS. Damn that was a long sentence...

A few people have had sucess without DSMLink by making very small adjustments to the 1g CAS once base timing has been set. RM sucks and is near impossible to get rid of unless you have DSMLink or use some other hack. DSMLink can ignore the random misfire checks by the 2g ECU, thats why people say you need it for the 6 bolt swap.

All the other good things DSMLink can do will help you from ruining your motor if you can have someone help you tune. Its nice to know when and how your engine is knocking, knocking under load will make quick work of even the best built engines. You can capture all of this with DSMlink, where as pocket loggers can not log knock on 2Gs.

Jim