Thread: House Projects
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2016   #1004
asshanson
immune from paybans

Drives: poorly
Send a message via AIM to asshanson
Re: House Projects

My dad helped me build a laundry room setup, it's been bothering Emily ever since we moved in 2 years ago. I don't have any 'before' pics, but just imagine two machines on the floor with nothing else around them haha. It cost more than I initially expected, around $350 in total, but that's still relatively cheap compared to buying something similar at Menards.

This is after the first weekend of work. We first built the frame from 2x4s, and secured it to the walls and floor, I had to buy a glass/tile bit so we could drill through the tile and run screws to the plywood under. Then we put some nice birch plywood over the 2x4 frame. The side is 1/8" and the bottom is 3/4" to hold the weight of the washer and dryer. We didn't need to add a center support, which I really like because it opens it up a lot. Then I stained and varnished the plywood pieces to match the rest of the trim in our house, a reddish brown.

This is after the second weekend of work. Glued and nailed the front trim pieces on (plus putty to cover the little finish nail holes), and then put the doors on. The top two shelves are for random stuff, and the bottom one is for brooms and the vacuum.

A week later I got around to finishing the board for the top shelf, cut the clothing bar to length and installed it, installed door handles, and put in some magnets to hold the doors shut. Pretty happy with how it turned out.

Last edited by asshanson; 04-24-2016 at 01:17 AM..
asshanson is offline   Reply With Quote