View Single Post
Old 07-12-2011   #8
Fran05

Drives: DSM
Re: 92 TSi AWD For Sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrohner View Post
You want to diagnose a noise through a video? Get real.
First of all, I am trying to watch out for people on this forums. I sold my 97 M3 to the guy who flew in to the cities airport, picked it up and drove home 1500 miles. He is as happy as a kid could possibly be. He trusted me and I did not let him down. 1G4g63t, on the other hand, used my trust to his advantage. He drove an hour from his home to meet me at the airport, where I just dropped off my M3. I should have stopped him at the gas station and looked everything over, but I figured if the car drove for an hour there and an hour back, its gotta be in good mechanical shape. (Otherwise he wouldn't risk it driving that far) He actually tried to have me pick it up, by calling and saying that "Alternator shit out on my buddies car, he can't follow me so now come and pick it up yourself). This guy then drove me back to his house in the middle of nowhere so that I could drop him off at his house and drive the car back. All the way there he never raised rpms over 2000 for some reason (kept me wondering). I test drove it, and you can't hear knocking from inside the car. Only after I revved it with the hood open, the sound appeared. I wanted to punch the dude in the face, because I am now stranded in the middle of nowhere with no car. Had to find a random person from the gas station to give me a ride back to St. paul because there were no buses and no cabs going to that town (monthgomery or something)

Yes, I should have looked the car over, but I trusted the guy. BIG mistake.

I've seen this car in person. If it wasn't knocking, that I'd be damned on this planet. Upon asking the seller about the rattling noise over the phone prior to me driving 3 hours to look at it, he claimed: "It is just a wastegate rattling.." I was like hmmm.., but at that point was too excited about the car and spaced it out. It was a costly mistake.

I almost bought that car and don't want anyone else to waste time and effort without knowing what expects them on the other side. The sound is so obvious, even the prehistoric smartphone camera will capture its essence.

The car a mechanical defect, called "rattle at 2800rpm" (not to mention brake pedal that falls to the floor, ebay turbo, and slipping clutch) and if the seller refuses to let buyers listen to it, it would raise some questions. For anyone, who is not an idiot. I am not saying all of the DSM owners are idiots. Not all of them. Just most.

Last edited by Fran05; 07-13-2011 at 12:05 AM..
Fran05 is offline   Reply With Quote