View Single Post
Old 03-30-2019   #119
niterydr
back in the saddle again

24 Hours Rally Champion! 3D Pacman white house edition Champion! 3D Racing - Track 2 Champion! ATV Winter Challenge Champion! Bloody Pingu Champion! WRX Racing 2 Champion!
Tournaments Won: 5

Drives: 2015 Ram Quad Cab Hemi, 1999 FRC Corvette, 93 Stealth Turbo
Send a message via AIM to niterydr
Re: Back into the big leagues: Project FRC

I've hit a snag.

Went to replace the starter (and shim it properly as I kept thinking something was wrong besides heat).

Found the attached image.

So that's neat. I figured when the injector stuck open (old 36lb gtp injector) and hydrolocked the motor, the kick back destroyed the tooth.

Thankfully McLeod can rebuild the flywheel for cheap ($50). Of course to do this I get to pull all of the stock drivetrain out.

So now the next phase begins, planning the future of the build, as putting the inferior parts back in a 2nd time pains my heart knowing I can't launch on it.

I briefly thought about selling the car after fixing this last issue and starting with a different platform, but I really like this car.

So I think I'll be tossing in all C6Z stuff (Differential, transmission) and a upgraded 2001-14 corvette 12mm torque tube.

This combo *should* be good to around 600-650hp/tq or so, more importantly allow me to try to get those low 60's. In asking around most guys are capable of cutting 1.5's no sweat, 1.4's with practice without breaking.

Yes I do plan on spraying nitrous to get to the limit of the drivetrain, why wouldn't I?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chipped flywheel.jpg
Views:	549
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	17264