View Single Post
Old 07-18-2011   #211
turbotalon1g

Drives: '91 Automagic
Send a message via AIM to turbotalon1g
Re: Big Brown's Automagic - The last episode in my DSM story.

About a week or so later.....
You will need some explaining on why a simple rear end swap turned into this mess.
There was a rusty bolt in one of the cups in the new rear end I had. ($35 for the new rear end with axles) I didn't put any effort into getting it out and then I discovered the bolt sizes were different for the cups, so I said F it, I'll pull everything out and do it the right way.

I think I just wanted an excuse to do this and with no-one to tell me other wise I pulled the whole rear subframe.

Dusty but not rusty:

ABS lines removed! Plastic cup fit in there nice and snug.

Goodbye evil ABS sensor.

So instead of welding in new active toe eliminators and trying to push these bushings out, I came to reality knowing that I wasn't comfortable with my welding skills at the moment and I wanted to make proving grounds 2011.
At this point the car has been apart for about 2.5 weeks
Filled mounts.

RR Side:

LR Side:

There was supposed to be a before and after, not sure where the after photo is, but its a lot cleaner now. I just wiped it down.

Almost back together again! Its about 10th june.

This is proof that the stock stuff is worn out, I'm sure that was me that did most of that.

What?!! These things come with a jack? bye bye extra weight.

Voltage gauge install.

Here is the pic of my fuel pump install, I can't remember the last time i did one of these, maybe 2007?
I'm quite proud of this, because if i didn't tell you. You would have a hard time telling its an aftermarket. Apart from being fat. lol.

All buttoned up, and now I know the voltage at the fuel pump.

6-20-11
Preparing for FMIC install.

Yes that is a sidemount intercooler, yes it has seen 27psi lots of times and whooped a mustang gt (probably stock minus pipes)

SO this might be one of the many cause my car liked to run hot, dirty *CENSORED* coolant.

Time to do some cutting!!

The broseph doing what he does best, welding some mounts on my FMIC.

My sweet E316G, look close though.

I told you to look close, the comp. wheel is chipped I bought it like this.

Fabbing pipes, this was a somewhat fun night kinda like old times working late during the week to get the car done for an event.

6-24-2011
Progress, probably about 11pm.

More welding after measuring and stuff. Please note "stuff" may not be safe for children and small animals. lol

I was an idiot and picked up ugly aluminum angle iron, I got an earful about this.

He is welding aluminum, with a welder he hasn't touched in 2-3 years, upside down and while laying down.

I wasn't ready for this, but the stock untouched bumper fits great with the ETS 4" thick FMIC.

Oh, I forgot to mention my bro fit my 4" thick FMIC under a stock untouched bumper cover with room to spare.

Lowest clearance part is about an inch. He just made putting AC back into this thing a lot easier.

I didn't want anyone make stuff for this car that I believed that I can do/will be able to do. But I can honestly say if I get close to the level he is at right now I will be happy.

A big thanks, it was fun as usual.
Please leave feedback - http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/itrader.php?u=58309
turbotalon1g is offline   Reply With Quote