View Single Post
Old 02-19-2017   #25
niterydr
back in the saddle again

24 Hours Rally Champion! 3D Pacman white house edition Champion! 3D Racing - Track 2 Champion! ATV Winter Challenge Champion! Bloody Pingu Champion! WRX Racing 2 Champion!
Tournaments Won: 5

Drives: 2015 Ram Quad Cab Hemi, 1999 FRC Corvette, 93 Stealth Turbo
Send a message via AIM to niterydr
Re: Back into the big leagues: Project FRC

I hope everyone has been enjoying the unseasonably warm weather here in Minnesota.

Saturday I was able to install my MTI Racing Six Shooter shifter. http://www.mtiracing.com/mti-racing-...t-shifter.html

I topped it off with a 2008 Z06 Shifter that I re-threaded with the same color thread as I had done on my boots.

At the same time I installed my Redline Goods shift boot, e-brake boot, and e-brake handle.
http://www.redlinegoods.com/

Before:

After:

Shifter comparison:

Overall I am happy with products from both vendors and would recommend them both with the few conditions.

MTI Racing Six Shooter Review

Pros:
  • Shorter shift throws
  • accepts C5, C6, C7, and universal threaded shift knobs. Thus if I wanted to cell this shifter I can sell it to a C5-C7 corvette owner.
  • Lighter than OEM
  • more precise shifting
  • "Firm" feeling when shifting
Cons:
  • Reverse is harder to get into.
  • 1st gear now requires a stop at 2nd first to line up syncros. I will bleed my clutch tomorrow and hope that helps.
  • My return spring on the T-56 transmission sucks compared to Ryan's Z06. Return to center isn't the greatest. The shifter is really demonstrating this issue now.

This is a high quality piece and anytime you deviate from OEM you are trading one thing for another. In this case I traded exactly what I expected I would, a bit of comfort and ease of operation for more precision and shorter throws. Simple physics tells you that a shorter throw means you'll have less mechanical leverage. Very happy with this shifter overall and I can fix a few things on the car that'll make it perfect.

RedlineGoods
Pros:
  • High quality leather utilized
  • Customization in many colors of leather and thread and patterns
  • Fast shipping

Cons:
  • Not 100% bolt in, requires some modifications to stock parts to install
  • The E-brake handle cover isn't the greatest. Better than stock, but the fitment could be better around the top
  • Not all the threading is consistent. In both cases on my products the ends trailed off crookedly, nothing that is visible; but I am very anal retentive on my stuff.

Modifying e-brake bracket to fit with new boot.

Overall these products are well constructed and much better than others I've used in the past. Rich leather and double stitching is used. Easy to customize and they have a ton of vehicles they sell stuff for, I'd recommend you checking them out.

Higher Res pictures:

Last edited by niterydr; 02-23-2017 at 08:00 PM..
niterydr is offline   Reply With Quote