View Single Post
Old 11-21-2016   #11
dogwhistle

Drives: Life's too short to drive boring cars.
Re: School me on handguns

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehehodi View Post
Glocks are good but whatever you choose, pick one that fits your hands and train with it. Do you want a carry gun or strictly just range and home defense?
I personally like hammer fired pistols so my opinion is different from others.

For EDC(Everyday Carry), get something slim and small that you can efficiently hit targets with and have the option to conceal or even just stick in your pocket and go.(IE: S&W shield, glock 43,etc in the holster. Bodyguard, LCP380,etc for pocket.) You can carry larger compact pistols but you are limited and could have the potential of printing. Also, if you carry in the holster, I want to mention that pooping in public places becomes a hassle. When peeing, just pull your wang through the zipper(un zip of course)

For range home defense, find a pistol or rifle or shotgun that would best suite your layout of your home. You have children in the home so be aware where you bullets could go and make a plan. Also a safe(you know this already). Maybe get something smaller that your wife could possibly use as well if you are not home.

As far as holsters, I really like my alien gear holster but I also like the looks of stealth. I carry IWB(inside the waist band) and i would love to AIWB(Appendix inside the waistband) but I'm too fat still.

I'm sure others will chime in who have carried longer than I have.
A lot of this. I personally carry IWB at 5:30 on my waistband but use a level 2 holster reffering to a snap that gives me 1 level of gun retention should it even become visible enough for somebody to try and take. I also would add that you should get carry insurance from CCW or similar companies that cover things like the actual defense case, and, the civil suit that can follow even if you were justified. That can be as much as $150 per year and include your spouse who may be with you and need to use your firearm or their own in the event of emergency.

I always choose to have holsters custom made for me, or to at least try them on first. I would also suggest renting several. I love my CZ's but slimmer cheaper options work great when you do need that extra level of compact for visiting places like the State Fair.

Super small side note on the gun, don't focus too much on the caliber, just make sure the capacity, and recoil are in touch for the weight and fit of the gun. I choose guns with DA/SA features allowing my first shot to be a heavier and very intentional first trigger pull, while NEVER needing to use fine motor skills to disengage a manual safety if I needed to quickly. I hope this helps Aaron, and I have a library of glocks, and many other guns for you to try out my friend and I have quick a diverse collection if you can't find a sample at your local range. You're welcome to come with sometime! Congrats on the decision! You'll look back wondering why you left yourself without the peace of mind.

-Adam