View Single Post
Old 07-24-2015   #33
bramagedained

Drives: EVO IX SSL
Re: My "new" car/project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asshanson View Post
Awesome project, I love these cars.
Curious on the speedo, could you have a magnetic type sensor on a front wheel, and just deliver a Hz reading to the gauge which is calibrated for the tire diameter? I guess at this point it's already done. Maybe the VSS thing you're talking about does the same thing.
Yeah, it's too late to change course now.

This:
http://www.autometer.com/hall-effect...er-sender.html

Would have been the way to go, it goes where the speedo cable connects to the tailshaft and generates the the signal for an electronic gauge. The autometer electronic ones have a calibration button, where you just mark out and drive a 2-mile course and it will self correct to however many pulses/mile it recorded during the trip.

I didn't know they were a thing when I decided to buy the gauges, and they don't really show up in google searches. I kept looking for "VSS" and not "Speedometer sender"

It certainly would have been the way to go, since I'd never have to fiddle with gears to correct things when wheels/tires/rearend changes happen.

I fixed how the tach sits yesterday. Turns out that bracket is much easier to get to than the speedo.

Ratio box to correct the speedo shipped today, as did a catch can and some fittings.

I'm not sure if I want to pull from the catch can to the air cleaner to get vacuum on the system or not. It will be an easy enough change to make later on.

The valve covers must have been overtightened or something in the past(so the mating surface with the heads isn't flat), they do seem to still leak oil even with new gaskets. So, today I'm just going to use gasket maker to seal them up.

This winter, I will probably just pull the motor and spend $70 on a complete gasket set and replace them all. Timing cover and oil pan gaskets have very minor leaks.

I'm also taking the front apart to put in the new shocks. I can't wait any longer for the driver side one, if I hit a pot hole you can feel that the shock doesn't do it's job.

I've tossed around the idea of trying to find a plate N2O kit this winter too. But, clearance could be an issue. I've not done the play dough thing to see how much room I actually have, but, it cannot be much. The 40 year old edelbrock intake manifold is actually a single plane.

Last edited by bramagedained; 07-24-2015 at 12:08 PM..
bramagedained is offline   Reply With Quote