View Single Post
Old 12-13-2012   #708
Halon
Pewp Champion

Drives: Teh Bean
Send a message via AIM to Halon
Re: Project Lex

Another mini-update.

Cam choices for the GE (non-vvti) head are extremely limited due to the exhaust cam requiring a gear to spin the Distributor and cam/crank sensors. The only simple option is to order a set of upgraded cams from a company called TTC, who basically has webcam hardweld stockers and grind to them to TTC's specs, which they then sell the sets for around $900/pair. That's a tough pill to swallow for a DSM guy used to buying a set of used HKS's for $300, haha.

So I've been on the hunt for quite some time to try and find a more affordable solution. Ended up coming across a company called Schneider who does camshaft regrinding. So I purchased a set of spare stock cams for $100 shipped. Will be shipping them to Schneider who will regrind them to any spec I want for $250/pair. That's a helluva lot better than $900, and I can get them ground to any spec I want

And since I know someone is going to ask, I did contact Delta Cams as well, and they told me they do not do 2jz cams.

So anyway, I really want to keep this car a street car. I love the sound of lope at idle just as much as the next guy, but I care more about idle quality, and low end torque. So I want to keep overlap somewhat low if possible, but also don't want to totally hinder performance. So Looking at their high lift 264 grind:
http://schneidercams.com/264F-HL_2JZ.aspx

They said they can customize the grind as well, so I may consider asking them to bump the duration out the 268 to soften the ramp up, and maybe get a little more power without going all the way to a 272.

Either way, glad I found a cam option that isn't going to cost me a G.
2006 Bayliner 195 - Carbed 5.0 Top Speed Test
Halon is offline   Reply With Quote