View Single Post
Old 03-12-2005   #25
TheBlizzard

Drives: Too Many
Send a message via AIM to TheBlizzard Send a message via MSN to TheBlizzard
Re: Dumb question inside...only read if u arent gonna flame lol

From what I have seen and read in my opinion there is no such thing as a warped brake rotor. If there is it is very rare and more often than not it is merely mis-diagnosed "run-out". This may be way off but I think that in most cases whether on a racing car or a street car, rotors end up failing due to the friction pad material being unevenly transfered to the surface of the rotor. This uneven deposition results in a thickness variation or "run out" due to hot spotting that occured at elevated temperatures.

Getting them turned is not a good idea because the more material you take away, the less material there is for heat dissipation. You may get away with it here and there but what is your time worth? Who wants to keep pulling rotors off and putting them back on when they are fairly cheap to just by new ones.

I think it should also be stressed that your wheel and rotating assembly be balanced and not be uneven. An uneven wheel or a wheel thats mounting surface is uneven with cause undesireable stress on your braking system. A wheel that is not tightened properly could also cause your brake rotors to wear unevenly.

This is just my opinion. Take from it what you want.

CRAIG

TheBlizzard is offline   Reply With Quote