View Single Post
Old 07-28-2014   #3190
Murlo26

Drives: 17 Honda Accord
Re: Dave's Evo X Build/The Life of Dave blog

Well the new PC680 started the car just fine, well minus the fact that there was still an air leak on the intake manifold making the car suck in air post MAF and make it a bit harder to start.

the new thermal spacer didn't work and upon closer inspection it appears there is an issue with the mating surface on the intake manifold. I did not want to use any sealant or anything as when we looked there was an apparent step or imperfection around runner 3.

Talking with Adam at MAP on facebook last night he thought the flat sanding process was probably the issue. I have already shot an email to Bill at MAP and I am sure they will take care of the issue but its just a PITA to have to keep pulling parts of and re-installing not to mention buying parts I don't need.

So hopefully they can fix the mating surface and get it true so it will seal up. If they fix it and it still leaks I will really be frustrated but i expect nothing less from my stupid evo. Even trying to go back to stock'ish its fighting me.

edit: emailed Chris back and forth. sounds like they recommend 2 OEM gaskets, one on each side to help sealing. Apparently the older thermal spacer I had was pliable enough to help with sealing and didn't need these but the new one I got they "need" them. I did mention I needed something pliable when I ordered so that kind of sucks that I am just finding this out now. I think Hughes said something about this earlier but I thought I was getting a direct replacement for my old spacer not one like I got which made the leak worse. Anyway, going to stop at MAP tomorrow to have them inspect the mating surface and see if its flat. If there is an issue with it I am still going to have the fix it and will probably get two OEM gaskets...more money spent, doh. Again, I should've just listened to Kracka but didn't realize I was getting the hard plastic one until it showed up.

Last edited by Murlo26; 07-28-2014 at 10:31 AM..
Murlo26 is offline   Reply With Quote