View Single Post
Old 04-05-2012   #1
asshanson
immune from paybans

Drives: poorly
Send a message via AIM to asshanson
Kenne Bell boost a pump wiring

About to install my KB boost a pump, had a few questions from people who have installed them in the past. I am going to mount it inside my rear fender well next to the pump harness, but I have a two questions. Yes, I know my car is different than an Evo or DSM, but electronics remain pretty much the same.

1. The BAP only includes a few inches of wiring on both input and output. Do you think it's worth it to run a bigger wire direct from battery (with fuse close to battery of course) as the input to the BAP, and use the stock power wire as a relay switch? I'm thinking this will give it a slightly higher supply voltage which will in turn up the output voltage, if only by 1 volt, which might matter if I'm close to maxing out the pump. Is this sound logic? Or does the boost a pump deliver 17.5 volts regardless of input voltage? I'm not sure how the internal circuitry works.

2. The other thing I was curious about was the second long wire to the adjustable voltage regulator. I've seen many posts about just cutting this off and soldering/crimping the two internal wires together, and just bypassing the controller altogether. Will this give the full 50% boost that the controller would give if set that way? People say it's a safety measure so that the controller doesn't accidentally become unhooked or get dialed down, resulting in a lean condition. Is this also correct?
asshanson is offline   Reply With Quote