View Single Post
Old 11-18-2010   #1
BriK

Drives: GG IX MR SE
Speakers stopped working-- power/ wiring issue, I think

As some background, I have way too complex of a stereo system that the previous owner installed, so I don't much about it. I know I have an Alpine deck, Eclipse amp, Kicker speakers all around, two additional Kicker tweeters, and I think some Kicker crossovers. The amp and crossovers are bolted to the back of the rear seat in the trunk.

Two days ago I got under a little bit of boost and the speakers cut out. The stereo stayed on, both the CD and radio worked, only the speakers were funky. Nothing happened under hard braking though, only acceleration.

Yesterday, speakers started cutting out on bumps too. Then I went WOT and now the speakers just don't work at all. They came on for literally 1 second this morning when I was on a cloverleaf.

Deck works fine, voltage is normal, and there's no feedback or static in the speakers-- just on or off.

I had the battery disconnected on Friday so something could've been put on a little loose upon reconnecting. But this started 5 days after that, so I don't think that's the issue. I checked the battery and engine bay, and everything seems solidly attached.

I had a cardboard box in the trunk so that could've it slid around and knocked something loose. I nudged all the wires in the trunk and everything seems to be solidly attached there too.

Any other recommendations on what else to check or try? I assume this is a very minor issue, so I don't wanna bring it into a stereo shop and pay them $90 to tighten a screw.
BriK is offline   Reply With Quote