View Single Post
Old 05-14-2010   #1
tpunx99GSX

Tournaments Won: 3

Drives: Lancer and Durango
Send a message via ICQ to tpunx99GSX Send a message via AIM to tpunx99GSX Send a message via MSN to tpunx99GSX Send a message via Yahoo to tpunx99GSX
Idle, Idle Surge, Timing Adjustment and heat...

Ok so i think all three of these are related but i want to ask your opinions.

Idle:
The car idles at 1200-1300 when cold and warming up. very smooth.
Idle Surge:
After the car is fully heated it starts idle surging slowly. Drops to 900 rpms, then climbs very slowly up to 1300 then drops back down to 900. If i push in the clutch it will climb even slower.
Base timing Adjustment:
When i first got the car running and was setting the base timing, i ended up setting it to around 2 degrees BTDC. Mainly because if i set it to 5 or 10 degrees BTDC it would idle surge and idle really high, like around 2000 rpms. Granted this was when the new head gasket was just installed and the motor only had 25 miles on it. Im going to attempt to readjust today.
Heat:
Currently i have no thermostat in. The car warms up and sits right in the middle. but after driving for a bit when i get to the lower speeds it starts to head towards the H and get hot, it never gets past that first line but gets hot enough to make me worry.

My theory on how these are all related:
My belief is that being that the Base timing is set so close to TDC its causing the heat issues, but also with that the thermostat being uninstalled is constantly flowing the coolant through the system and not allowing the coolant to get much time in the radiator to cool down before getting thrown through the system again. And while on the highway it says perfectly in the average range, but this is likely caused by the airflow that is reaching the radiator is cooling the coolant more rapidly.
The Idle surge and Idle i think are related to the base timing as well. but how would i go about adjusting the timing down to 5 deg BTDC without it raising the idle to 2k rpm? Should i maybe try the green cap CAS and see if its maybe a faulty CAS?

What do you all think?
Scientific theories are the most reliable, rigorous, and comprehensive form of scientific knowledge. This is significantly different from the common usage of the word "theory", which implies that something is a conjecture, hypothesis, or guess.
tpunx99GSX is offline   Reply With Quote