View Single Post
Old 01-25-2010   #1
Andrew7dg
Built it from scratch!

Drives: Currently Mitsu-less
Brake Problems

The car
92 Summit 1.5L econo

Problem is the brakes. Master cylinder was producing some bubbles and I had to pump the car to make it stop. Rotors are shot but I am trying to make them work for right now. There is some brake pads left. The challenge is I am trying to figure out how to make this work for the cheapest amount of money.

Went to the junk yard to find parts. I thought I struck gold and found a brand new set of rotors that were vented. However they are too big for these non vented brakes... Bummer (So I think these belong to the sedan but there isn't a sedan in the yard to pull the rest of the parts from). However I found a used Master cylinder that is hopefully going to be an improvement to the one that I already have. Installed the master cylinder.

When I went to the caliper bleeder screw to bleed the system, it broke of... SO now I am kind of stuck...
In fact I went around the whole car and only one of the drum brake screws didn't brake. So that 3 out of 4 screws broken. But the good news is that Oreillys carries the cylinder for the back for $15.00. It is the front calipers that I am stuck on

In frustration I went to the local parts stores to give up on cheapness, However no one carries rotors, master cylinder, calipers for this thing! WTF? I thought that these were common cars.

So parts kind of suck already. Worse is eventually I will be upgrading so I don't want to even spend much money on these things. Again just enough to make it through.

So brain storming ideas here, Can I just get a bigger set of bleeder screws and drill and tap these calipers?
What would you guys do?