View Single Post
Old 07-01-2009   #92
DoughtCom
It's deluxe son... deluxe

Drives: Your mom
Send a message via AIM to DoughtCom
Re: Customer Reviews

Now that I have my parts I can honestly write a legitimate review based on my transactions and the quality of work. The reason I went with MAP is because Chris has always been a really cool guy to work with, the shop is local, the prices on parts and labor are awesome and after seeing Bob's porting work... well it's flawless. The work I had done was a "stage 3" ported head and a "stage 2" ported/coated intake manifold, along with buying quite a few parts like cams/springs, etc.. But was really excited to see Bob's work on my IM/Head.

Sitting down with them on 5/15/09, we talked about parts and what I wanted, this went fairly well. I was then quoted about 2-3 weeks, which I was ok with since it was an expensive job and I didn't have the funds quite yet. I left my cores with them and with a quote that was about $200 cheaper because they misquoted me Evo VIII FP4R's. Bill then IMed me a few hours later to let me know that I was misquoted and then corrected the problem and cut me a small deal on the cams. At this point I was still a fairly happy customer, Bill has always been a great person to deal with and enjoy doing business with him. It was good that he caught the mistake, shows that he's really dedicated to his job and on the ball.

3 1/2 - 4 weeks went by without me really bothering MAP, but then I started worrying. So I went in on 6/18/09 or so and paid about 70% (even though Chris said I didn't need to) what I owed since it wasn't done and talked to them to find out it was another 2-2 1/2 weeks out. This I was understanding of, however extremely disappointed, upset with the lack of communication and felt like a customer that wasn't cared for. I then on 6/22/09 find that another customer was bumped up before me and write them an e-mail explaining my concern with this. Chris e-mailed me back within the hour or so and explained that my head was being worked on then and that it would be done Thursday.

At this point I had already paid off my insurance ahead of time since I had to wait 2 weeks anyway so I didn't have the funds anymore to pay them what I owed. I explained that to them and Chris said I could pickup my parts ahead of time. It was critical to have it by the weekend because a friend was going out of town that was helping me put it together and both of us were trying to get it running for their upcoming Brainerd event.

Thursday (6/25) rolls by and I find that it won't be done until Friday. Friday (6/26) rolls by and I find it won't be done until Saturday and have to remind Bob that I have an Intake Manifold that needs porting/coating as well. Saturday (6/27) rolls by and I get a call at around 3-4PM that it's at the machine shop and they aren't returning MAP's calls. So now that weekend is shot. Monday (6/29) comes along and it's done at 5:30PM. I pick it up WITHOUT the intake manifold. Bob then tells me that the intake manifold will be done at 9PM but could be until 12AM. I get a call at 12:30 AM or so saying it'll be done in 50 minutes or so. I ended up picking it up at 2AM. With that said, however Bob offered to drop it off AT MY HOUSE at 2AM, which was nice of him.

As a customer, this has NOT been a smooth transaction. I also have not been offered a discount or anything to make up for it, other than the small one on the cams. All I was offered was multiple dates/times that couldn't be met which only upsets the customer more.

With all of this said after everything is said and done, Bob is an AMAZING porter and he takes his time with his porting. It's obvious why he's having to push back times and it's definitely worth the money to get his porting work done. Would I do it again? Hell no, not unless I have a core or mentally prepare myself that it's going to be about twice as long as quoted. I think they need to be honest with their customers and or fix the issue of not being able to quote proper times. I also think that they should be more concerned with keeping the customer happy. By either cutting them a little break or giving them store credit or ANYTHING to help motivate their customers with returning knowing that the timeline they're quoted isn't remotely accurate.

sleepydsm: "Shit breaks, $2500 trannys are disposable. If that upsets your stomach, get out now."
DoughtCom is offline   Reply With Quote