View Single Post
Old 04-25-2008   #6
Andrew7dg
Built it from scratch!

Drives: Currently Mitsu-less
Re: So I want to paint my valve cover...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSM_421 View Post
Most of the paint on my valve cover is gone, although some still needs to be removed. I will probably just use an economy line paint stripper that Napa offers.

Do you remember what the 1200F primer was called? I looked at a few 1200F paints today at the Napa by me (In Wisconsin) and I don't remember seeing any type of high temp primer... Probably didn't look hard enough.

Also this Napa does as much business in a month that the old Napa I worked at does in a day lol. Huge difference in part selection...

PS - How long did you wait for the paint to set between each coat?

Edit - Also, do you remember what color red that was? Looks like it matches the paint real well. I have been trying to decide to either go red or black. Also what grit sand paper did you use?
*going to garage and getting paint cans*

The brand is Dupli-Color

The primer is Dupli-Color High Heat (with Ceramic) 1200F
main factors is
remove loose paint, dirt, rust, grease, wax, ext
Wash with mild soap and water, rinse and dry
paint at temps around 60-92 and humidity less then 60%
2 light coat
1 medium wet coat
apply all coats within 1 hour allowing 10 min inbetween each coat
for additional coats after 1 hour, wait 7 days for paint to cure
dries to the touch in 1 hour
can be handled in 3 hours
For maximum hard heat to 300 for 2 hours (didn't do, o well)

Dupli Color Engine Enamel (with Ceramic) 500F- for color I just looked on the can cover, they only had only a couple of colors to choose from

directions

remove loose paint, dirt, rust, grease, wax, ext
Wash with mild soap and water, rinse and dry
Apply Dupli-Color engine primer to bare metal surfaces (the high temp primer was all I could find for primer so thats what I thought it was refering to)
paint at temps around 60-92 and humidity less then 60%
2 light coat
1 medium wet coat
apply all coats within 1 hour allowing 10 min inbetween each coat
for additional coats after 1 hour, wait 7 days for paint to cure
dries to the touch in 1 hour
can be handled in 3 hours

For sand paper... well probably I should have wet sanded or something but didn't.... Looked good to me... I did sand the valve cover once it was bare metal. I found out the stock paint covered a lot of imperfections or jagged edges. Smoothed them down with some sandpaper.

One thing that I have found when everything was painted and installed... you loose the ability to use the valve cover as a tool box. I can't bring myself to put tools into it anymore

Last edited by Andrew7dg; 04-26-2008 at 12:01 AM..
Andrew7dg is offline   Reply With Quote