Thread: Batteries
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2004   #4
SlowWhite
Been there, done that.

Send a message via AIM to SlowWhite
Looks like I have some more issues to work out. And think the battery is part of it.

I got the car back together yesterday after installing:
-1G TB
-FIC 850's
-New DSMLINK Chip
-New Taylor 10MM Wires

Idling the car for 20 minutes while I worked on the clutch engagment, Biss, and set up the capture values to what I wanted, I then took the car out for a spin and for the first 10 minutes the Car was hauling ASS. I was able to rev to past 7500 again (finally) with no problems during the shift.

I pulled up to a stop light and the car just Died. (no warning, everything shut off, as if there wasn't a battery in my car or something) And wouldn't start back up again, won't crank, won't do anything.

Get a jump and as soon as jumper cable are hooked up, cars came right to life again. Like nothing had happened. (WTF?)

I head for home, 2 streets away from my house, I pull up to a stop light and as soon as the RPMS drop. Cars dead again. Same as before.

Get a jump. (Starts right up as soon as the cables are attached as if nothing happened, But this time as soon as the cables are removed the cars dies again)

Get the car running by me holding the RPMS at 3K. I turn left onto Nicollet from McAndrews and as soon as I turn my lights on car dies. (at least I'm on a down hill so I'm now coasting, I pop the clutch, car comes to life but is now it's sputtering, on/off, on/off. I'm holding the RPMS at 3K which is keeping it alive. I kept the lights off.

I go to turn right onto 1st Ave. As soon as I hit the brakes and turn on the blinker, car dies. John jumps me again as well as Eric and Terina. Keeping the revs at 3K the cars constantly bucking (on/off, on/off) but I make it into my garage where it dies and I just coast into it.

Eric and I start looking through the car. And I noticed that my Power steering Wire (the one that's connected to the Alternator harness) is completely stripped/melted and is resting on my 02 housing.

So I go to tape it up after Eric left and the damn wire broke in half. It had Green crap (kind of like a battery with acid on it) were the wire was exposed.

I hooked up the charger to the battery and with the charger running the car acts as if nothings wrong. But as soon as I turn the charger off. It's completely dead.

I'm guess's I need:
-new batter (not a big deal since I was looking to get one anyways)
-New Alternator (pretty pissed as I've been through 3 this last year and I haven't had my stereo in for the last 2 due to the blown rear suspension)
-Possibly something else is grounding but where?

All I've changed since this started happening.
-Magnus SMI
-Removed the A/C system.

The first time this happening was 2 days after thanksgiving. My car was driving fine but then after being parked out side in -20 degree weather for 8hrs. I started it up, but then died as soon as I went to back up. (same as before with the jump) The car made it all the way home. But as soon as I shut it off. The car was dead just like above. The car has been Sitting like this up until Yesterday.

Thanks in advance for the help. Again sorry for the long post.

-brian
1992 GSX - sold
1996 GST - sold
1995 GSX - sold
Best 1/4 - 11.7 on 93oct
Best 1/4 MPH - 120mph
SlowWhite is offline   Reply With Quote