MitsuStyle

MitsuStyle (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/index.php)
-   Brakes / Body / Suspension (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   Got a question about Drop Springs (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6163)

GSXMatt 01-17-2005 09:34 PM

Got a question about Drop Springs

I'm looking into getting an Eibach Pro kit for my car, and was wondering, Although I know Struts are reccomended, can the stock struts handle the drop? I can't remember the thread, but over on MachV it seemed like alot of DSMers were just using the Pro Kit, then getting a Camber correction kit. Correct me if Im wrong, thanks!

Kracka 01-17-2005 09:44 PM

Re: Got a question about Drop Springs

Depends on the condition of your stock shocks, if they are old and worn they'll be junk pretty quickly, but if they are fairly new they'll last a while. If you cant afford nice shocks, some new(and realatively cheap) KYB GR-2's will be fine for Pro-Kits.

GSXMatt 01-17-2005 09:49 PM

Well Its a 99 GSX Im dropping with 65k miles.

Kracka 01-17-2005 09:54 PM

Well, try it. Why not just save up until spring and do it right the first time?

GSXMatt 01-17-2005 10:16 PM

I'll do what I can.

Goat Blower 01-18-2005 02:55 PM

I wouldn't use the stock shocks. When you go over bumps, your springs will launch you right out of your seat. Ask me how I know.

LightningGSX 01-18-2005 03:16 PM

The stock shocks are not designed to handle the stiffer non linear progressive lowering springs at all.I would assume not only does the ride get shitty, but it also damages the shocks.
BTW with the Pro-kits, I don't think you'd really need the camber kit, so long as the toe is set properly after the spring install

GSXMatt 01-18-2005 11:08 PM

Thanks for all the replies guys. I'll be looking into more suspension stuff, I don't plan on lowering the car at all until all this snow and salt and sand are disappeared for awhile.

tpunx99GSX 01-26-2005 04:04 PM

I have coilovers and OMG is it horrid, everytime i go over a bump i either hit my head or hopefully my sunroof is open so my head goes out the sunroof.
The 99s come with Stock KYB struts and are pretty decent just watch out going over traintracks, the plate that holds the spring up does tend to break giving you one hell of a drop. Mine did that on my rear and the tire was tucking, granted it was still drivable but made the ride even more rough, but at least a good ol lead pipe fixed it.

Matt D. 01-26-2005 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tpunx99GSX
I have coilovers and OMG is it horrid, everytime i go over a bump i either hit my head or hopefully my sunroof is open so my head goes out the sunroof.
The 99s come with Stock KYB struts and are pretty decent just watch out going over traintracks, the plate that holds the spring up does tend to break giving you one hell of a drop. Mine did that on my rear and the tire was tucking, granted it was still drivable but made the ride even more rough, but at least a good ol lead pipe fixed it.

You can not compare your cheap coilovers to some quality equipment like Tien, B+G, JIC, etc. Look at all the problems you've had with them. Combine some nice coilovers with adjustable shocks and you're set, but be prepared for the rough ride. If you added some adjustable shocks to your coilovers it would ride smoother but still be rough if not rougher. But you know as well as everyone else you did it just for the drop. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

tpunx99GSX 01-26-2005 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt D.
You can not compare your cheap coilovers to some quality equipment like Tien, B+G, JIC, etc. Look at all the problems you've had with them. Combine some nice coilovers with adjustable shocks and you're set, but be prepared for the rough ride. If you added some adjustable shocks to your coilovers it would ride smoother but still be rough if not rougher. But you know as well as everyone else you did it just for the drop. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

When did i compare them to "quality equipment". I was saying that on the stock KYB struts its a horrid ride. Ill be the first (or second including you) to admit that i did it for the looks. you dont put coilovers on for the ride. My car does corner much better but the coilovers were mainly for the look.