MitsuStyle

MitsuStyle (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/index.php)
-   Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   AWD to FWD conversion 5spd (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14819)

Pimpin Dsmstyle 03-23-2007 07:41 PM

AWD to FWD conversion 5spd

I need to know everything that needs to get swapped over to convert an AWD to FWD. I also need to know how the rear end works without the driveshaft. That's the jist of it. Here is what I think I know

Parts needed
-FWD tranny
-Long axle / short axle
-FWD turbo clutch / flywheel
-FWD starter plate ( do years matter or just fwd/awd. The FWD shit is from a 90 and my AWD shit is a 91)

Now the dilema of the rear end. Can't really remove it because there wouldn't be any support from wheel to wheel. Is there a way to leave the rear end in but keep out the drive shaft without hurting the differential?

Again, tech only please. I'm doing this for specific reasons that are unavoidable. I have a spair FWD setup sitting in my garage and don't have the cash for another AWD tranny / tcase. Nor do I really care because it's stock and it's nice out.

Super Bleeder!! 03-23-2007 08:28 PM

Re: AWD to FWD conversion 5spd

you dont need a fwd tranny. You can just pull out the vicious coupler and weld it up, or buy a VC locker many vendors sell.

You dont need the fwd axles either.

Pimpin Dsmstyle 03-23-2007 10:22 PM

Well the situation is that I don't have an AWD tranny lol. So yeah, I need the FWD trans and axles :P

Super Bleeder!! 03-24-2007 06:48 AM

okay what axles do you have currently?

munchgsx 03-24-2007 09:14 AM

Okay, but why?

Hoffer00 03-24-2007 09:31 AM

You want to go with the FWD axles they are better, they have a little more beef to them.

ExTREME 03-24-2007 09:45 AM

Aren't you doing things bass ackwards? AWD to FWD..?

Also, FWD axles work with an AWD Trans? If so, upsides? Downsides?

scheides 03-24-2007 10:16 AM

Is this a long-term or short term solution? You could leave the rear diff in place and simply unbolt the driveshaft, that has been done by a lot of people when towing an AWD car with the front wheels off the ground.

Pimpin Dsmstyle 03-24-2007 03:28 PM

People are illiterate. Don't worry about WHY I'm doing it!

It's semi-temporary scheides. Probably a month or so.

Pimpin Dsmstyle 03-24-2007 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoffer00 (Post 182887)
You want to go with the FWD axles they are better, they have a little more beef to them.

they also are not equal length which means wheel hop. Good fight though.

Pimpin Dsmstyle 03-24-2007 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Super Bleeder!! (Post 182869)
okay what axles do you have currently?

I have both :P I have a set for a FWD and AWD. I have 2 cars and only 1AWD tranny and 1FWD tranny. Make some sense now? :X The one thing I don't have is the adapter peice to use the AWD axles in a fwd tranny. That'd be nice.

Super Bleeder!! 03-24-2007 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ExTREME (Post 182889)
Also, FWD axles work with an AWD Trans? If so, upsides? Downsides?

They only work if you dont have a transfer case, otherwise the inner CV joint would interfere with that.

Fwd axles would be a downgrade though, as the awd drivers side axle is a 2piece design with a rigidly supported section that should take out a lot of torque steer.

ExTREME 03-25-2007 01:48 PM

^Oh, Ok Thanks! I was wondering if I missed something somewhere along the line of searching miscellaneous shit about drivetrains in these. i still need to find some new axles..

I still dont get why you're doing this. Nice nade though!

Super Bleeder!! 03-25-2007 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pimpin Dsmstyle (Post 182956)
The one thing I don't have is the adapter peice to use the AWD axles in a fwd tranny.

what piece would that be?

TkrPerformance 03-25-2007 07:41 PM

ok on the talon
I have awd axles works just fine with the fwd
starter plat for the awd will work just have to cut the top of the loop off were the starter is that is what is in the talon sence I only had awd plates

Pimpin Dsmstyle 03-26-2007 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Super Bleeder!! (Post 183047)
what piece would that be?

Starter plate. I'll probably just stick to an AWD tranny in the new car but then I only have 1 running car.

Pushit2.0 03-26-2007 07:26 PM

Put in the FWD tranny, just drop the prop shaft and leave the rest of the rear end in the car, then use the FWD axels and spacer plate/ starter/ flywheel, and make sure you match the shifter cables/base/shifter arms year for year.

~John